• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can't lower tailgate

avlon01

I just bought a new to me M1009.

I'm having a problem with the tailgate. The glass raises and lowers fine, but the tailgate will not drop down. I can pull the release inside, but nothing happens. Really put some effort into it thinking it might be sticky, but no luck.

Any suggestions?

edit - my first post since i joined in 2006!

K9Vic

You should take the cover off and inspect the mechanics of the handle release system. Likely somethings is broken in there and that may be the only way to open/fix it. Now I have never taken the cover off with the tailgate up, but I think it can be done.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should take the cover off and inspect the mechanics of the handle release system. Likely somethings is broken in there and that may be the only way to open/fix it. Now I have never taken the cover off with the tailgate up, but I think it can be done.
Ditto: Mine was the same way when I got it. Plan on spending some time adjusting the latch rods or replacing parts. Caution with the adjustment bolt on the latch, it is a left hand thread. I learned that the hard way when I snapped it off.

rsh4364

with my 1009 I have to pull up on handle then hit upper tailgate on outside for it to release,of course a neighbor backed into my open tailgate so Im sure its out of alignment.

edpdx

Well, now that it is open, it's a good time to do a little maintenance to keep it operating smoothly- or to get it that way. If you don't figure out all that is wrong with it now, it will fail again- especially in winter conditions, when you may need it most.

Mine used to squeal a little whenever it got stuck- I'd reef on the handle to get it to unlatch. Sometimes only one side would move, sometimes not even one. I got tired of screwing around with the door in the rain while the groceries were getting soaked, so I finally put a light in the door panel to see everything that moves (or should move) when attempting to operate the handle. I hit the moving joints with carb cleaner to remove the built up oil and dirt. Then I hit the joints and pivoting spots with lithium grease spray- don't get this on the window- AMHIK. :-( You have to use a spray tube to get in the actual latches- keep operating the release handle until the latches move freely in and out with springy tension. Finally get a dab of grease onto each striker in the jamb. Lube these all around.

Get the hinges lubed up while you're at it and the door is now gonna move whisper quiet and latch/unlatch on command. Sounds involved, but it's less than an hour to do.

Pulled the panel off the back and found some loose clips. Made sure everything was hooked up correctly and it seems to be working now.

Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks