• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can't remove 3 lifters from block of 6.2

dtdoyle01

I had 7 lifters that were hard to remove from the block, I got 4 out, 3 are still in there. The 4 I removed have some mushrooming around the bottom by the rollers. Thats why their hard to pull out. I am replacing them all, does anyon have any ideas on how I might get these out? I already installed the new cam and the divers side head is back on. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

dtdoyle01

You are correct and I didn't chage the bearings. The cam was replaced because the Key on the CAM was broken off from a bolt on the water pump backing out and falling into the timing gears. The motor has less then 8k on it. inspected the bearings with a bore scope and they looked good. That will be my cross to bear if I end up doing this again.

Drock

Not sure how or why you would replace the cam but not remove and replace the lifters before hand:popcorn:. But the only way your going to get them out now is to remove the cam, get an old wrapping paper tube, cut a slice length wise, slide it in the cam hole so you can catch the lifters as you push them down and out.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure how or why you would replace the cam but not remove and replace the lifters before hand:popcorn:. But the only way your going to get them out now is to remove the cam, get an old wrapping paper tube, cut a slice length wise, slide it in the cam hole so you can catch the lifters as you push them down and out.
or
I had an issue like that years back, I took a fishing pole (yep you saw that correctly) hooked the leader into the lifter, removed the cam, lowered the lifter, reached through cam bearings with a spring loaded grabber and pulled it through (very gently at each bearing)
Didn't think of a wrapping paper tube, which was a good idea!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aren't they roller lifters?

FrankenCub

Aren't they roller lifters?
BINGO! There should be no reason for roller lifters to be mushroomed from my experience. The lifter body is not in contact with the cam.

To the OP, are you sure they are mushroomed and not just a buildup from previous poor maintenance? Maybe a 8k miles on a new speedometer? If it's a buildup you may be able to cut it with acetone on a piece of rag or try to entice them out with a slide hammer....carefully.