• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can't shift into 3rd

mecharedneck

So I finally got the M37 on the road, licensed and all that stuff. Brakes are still a little sketchy, but I'll be replacing the leaky line this weekend.

The problem I'm finding now that I can get up to speeds where I need to shift, is I can't get into 3rd! When the motor is off, i can move the stick into the spot for third, but if I'm moving, it's a no go. I've been reading about double clutching, but I don't know if I'm doing it right. I can get into 1st, 2nd and 4th no problem (it is a little touchy about downshifting though).

I watched a youtube vid, and the guy in that was double clutching really smoothly and with very little pause between gears. I wound it up to about 20 and just kept letting it decelerate as I tried to go into 3rd multiple times, and it was nothing but grind city.

Does anyone have any tips?
Thanks

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to match your engine speed to the ground speed. It will take a little practice if you have never "speed shifted" a manual trans without using the clutch. Try increasing the RPMs slightly between the double clutch and it will work for you.

armytruck63

The M37 has syncromeshed gears, except for first gear (and reverse, of course). If you have to double clutch in order to switch gears, then the transmission might need to be rebuilt.

First, pull up the cab floor and pull off the transmission top. You could just have bent or misadjusted shift forks.

Resist the temptation to take that truck on the road until you get the brakes working properly.

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only 3rd and direct drive are syncro'd.

Another thing you may want to check but will require removal of the tranny.
You will need to remove the main shaft, then remove the 1st and 2nd sliding gear. Under those gears is a snap ring that holds the syncro gear in place. The slot/groove on the mainshaft that holds the snap ring tend to break off, if so you will need to replace the main shaft.

Hope this helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks