• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cant upload pictures that I take

NebraskaFan

Alright I am having issues uploading any photos that I take with my phone and try to upload from my computer, or even pictures I get using the snipping tool on my laptop. I am usually trying to us JPG file type and I tried re-sizing down to 500x500 at less than 60 kb file size. The weird part is that I Can upload photos that I download of off the forum that other people had post. Can anyone point out what I am doing wrong?

When I try to upload using the newest version of the attachment handling system it displays no errors, pretty much nothing happens when I click upload.

When I try using the old format for uploading attachments it gives me an error that says:

Fatal Error:

Could not create file system directory to hold your attachment.

Unable to proceed with save while $errors array is not empty in class
vb_DataManager_AttachmentFileData in
[Path]/includes/class_dm.php on line 849

Any guess what this means? It is quite frustrating, as I've never been able to upload photos of my truck.

Forgot to add that it does allow me to change my avatar picture.

Thanks for any help,
Christian

Last edited:

NebraskaFan

I am running chrome currently, I haven't tried recently but in the past I tried firefox and internet explorer when I was truly desperate haha.. And I just tried attaching more photos using the enhanced mode as well as the older one and still no luck. Can it be possible there is something wrong with my account?

And thanks!

dmetalmiki

From the computer (where you stored the images as BITMAP files (bmp) = from your phone resize using your photo (shop) photo suite editor on the computer and save them as bmp. (to a folder "my SS posts) or similar.
new post - go advanced - (place tiltle if you wish) - manage attatchments - manage files - (go to your folder and choose pictures) - upload - repeat. IF you get problems with the manage attatcment page box freezing, go through another browser. (firefox / google chrome whatever.) Give it another go. good luck.

tim292stro

1211151538.jpg
This is a 64kB image I just uploaded through Chrome on my Win-7 Desktop. When you say "new upload system", are you talking about the attachment manger?

I just uploaded this image with the simple insert picture button in the quick reply editor:
edit.jpg

dmetalmiki

And welcome to the site ,hobby, and freindships and events to come (with pictures!) I saw the other responses only after typing my reply.

Attachments

tim292stro

And welcome to the site ,hobby, and friendships and events to come (with pictures!) I saw the other responses only after typing my reply.
That's what a picture looks like when you simply attach it to a post - if you are in the attachment manager, you can lick the "insert inline" once you put the picture in the "Attachments" box:
Manager.jpg

Wherever your cursor was in the editor box is where it'll put the checked picture.
0118160050_small.jpg
I mostly use the Attachment manager to upload PDFs or to re-use an uploaded image I've previously used (like the image above :beer:)

NebraskaFan

Alright so I tried saving the files to bmp format (still staying within size requirements) and that didnt work. I also check my permissions and those seem to be in order.

When I said "new upload system" I meant the enhanced upload option that has the attachment manager. I have tried switching to and from that and I also tried the insert image option that is in the quick reply box. So still no luck unfortunately. I'll open up a different browser and try that. It has to be some sort of issue with my files though, considering I can upload other people imagines. deuce hitch3.jpg
Here is a picture of some else's hitch installation that I had saved.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Curious as to what the problem was ? I haven't been able to upload pics either
His problem was with his folder directory permissions on the server. (The error message he posted directed me to checking that) I checked your folder permissions, they're fine.

Julian

I am having the same problem- tried all size of photos, tried IE, Firefox, nothing works but in some of the different methods I have tried, I get the message:

Fatal error:
  • File system directory "[path]/forum_attachments/4/9/4/0/1" is not writable or cannot be found. Please create this directory; ensure the directory is writable or change the directory setting.
Unable to proceed with save while $errors array is not empty in class vB_DataManager_AttachmentFiledata in [path]/includes/class_dm.php on line 849

Any help would be appreciated.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Have you tried recently? Folder permissions look good on that directory. I had to update a ton of folders when NebraskaFan pointed it out.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Interesting, I've drilled down through every level of your folders. Everything is the right permissions from top to bottom now. There was one folder that didn't have X rights on, so I added that, but it wasn't owned by the wrong user like the previous ones I've seen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks