• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can't view site

DownRange762

On my home computer only, when I try and view SS, most of the time all I get is an olive drab background displayed on my screen. Repeated refreshing doesn't improve things but after an unpredictable period, sometimes, the site will load and be readable.

I've cleared caches, cookies and the like and get that doing so may cause the site to load slowly the first time, but this is a recurring issue.

This just started at the end of last week and I have not knowingly made any changes to my computer. What it does on its own time I have no clue.

I don't have this issue on my work computer (thankfully or else I'd have to actually work) so it's not a site problem.

Any suggestions?

dmetalmiki

If the computer has the same problem with all sites, roll back to the last good version where it worked properly. (if you don't know how, google how to roll bak to an earlier working version.)
check your anti virus settings. and or other protective program settings.

DownRange762

Thanks for the response dmetalmiki I'll take look a that but the problem is confined to Steelsoldiers site only, all other sites work fine. I agree it is some software setting on my end that has changed.

Steelandcanvas, I have submitted payment through PayPal for dues, but the site works fine from my work computer so I've only been partially blacklisted as a slacker I guess?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you saying you paid for premium membership, or you simply donated to the site? Your not listed as a premium member.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my home computer (satellitte), SS loads slower than most sites. I get the green screen but if I let it sit; it eventually comes through.

DownRange762

Doghead, I'm saying a couple of things. 1) I cannot view the site from my home computer and I used to be able to; 2) I recently through PayPal submitted a $15 payment order for membership but I know PayPal has not yet completed that transaction as they are about another day or so from drafting from my account; 3) I can view the site as expected from my work computer; 4) I used to be able to view the site from my home computer and I have not intentionally changed any settings, however my computer, like many others, lives its own life and updates at will; 5) All I see at home on the SS site is a solid olive drab screen, no text; 6) I could be even less productive at home regarding family and other chores if I could view the site; 7) there are moments where access to online TMs would be really handy while working on the trucks; 8.) clearly it is a problem confined to my home computer which coincidently works fine with every other website I choose to visit so all I'm really looking for is some guidance on what software settting might need tweaking to properly display the site at home.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2) I recently through PayPal submitted a $15 payment order for membership but I know PayPal has not yet completed that transaction as they are about another day or so from drafting from my account;
Our membership is free.

Our premium membership is not free. Did you use the "upgrade membership" link in the top menu bar(under resources)?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PC? Yes? Try IE7? Work? No? Try Firefox? Work? No? Try Chrome? Work? No? You're on your own.

;-)

You have a multitude of browsers you can try. Firefox WAS my choice but the Flash problems were so bad I gave up and went to Chrome. Much better now but my system still takes a while to load the first page AFTER getting the OD background.

DownRange762

Doghead,

I knew the base membership were free, that's why it wasn't making any sense that I can't view even the homepage from one computer. It still just displays an olive drab screen, no text, graphic or other characters.

I have since become a premium member but the problem remains at my home computer so I'm guessing it has nothing to do with my status as a paid member, free member or otherwise.

I remain confident it isn't the SS site, I was posting the question to see if any others have encountered this and what their fix was.

gunboy1656

Have you always had this computer have this issue?

Have you tried restoring your computer to an earlier save point? If no, then try that as you may have had an update fail and it will redo that.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sounds like an issue with your computer or browser. Try deleting cookies and logging back in. If that doesn't work, you should look into spybot, ad-aware, and malwarebytes to scan your PC.

3dAngus

... and, after you clear all cookies, history, etc. reboot just for safety.
When you reboot and the system comes up, try SS before you load anything else at all, consuming additional resources.

If it works fine after rebooting and with nothing else running, you might just need more memory.

DownRange762

No luck on any of the above suggestions, clearing out caches, cookies, cooties and everything else.. I agree it is something with my computer but it is odd that only the SS site won't display. Everything else from banking, Ebay, car sites, weather etc., displays as expected. I was hoping someone else here had experienced this and had the magic language needed to resolve it.

I can view on my iPhone and iPad using the same wireless network at my house so it's not a network issue.

If I get a resolution, I'll post it here.

Thanks,
Wade