• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canvas Cab Cover Preservation

sellbooze

I have a canvas cover on the cab of my M35a2. It was brand new when I purchased and would like to keep it nice the best I can in this brutal Central Florida Sun. Any tips on products that might make it last longer. And yes I understand keeping out of the sun would be the first item on the list (thank you Captain Obvious) , but thats not possible.

shadowrwolf

just do a OD green tarp or get some cheep canvas to cover it with, can probably rig it so drivers by cant notice

eagle4g63

Go to a sporting goods place and find UV protectant and water proofing spray for tents....use the heck out of it. I forget the name of the stuff my dad put on the old canvas tent but it worked great...the thing lasted for YEARS.

You did mean canvas...not the new vinyl covered stuff, right?

gungearz

For vinyl, you can use armoral uv protectant and just try to keep it as shaded as possible but for canvas, I don't know for in which I never had canvas yet. All and all, nothing lasts forever.

135gmc

The old military product for this was tradenamed CANVAK - it was a blend of mineral spirits, waxes, green dye, and a mildew preventer. Look for a surplus store that's been around for a while, or a tent repair company for something similar - high end camping suppliers won't know what you are talking about, but someone who repairs tents or awnings should. You might not be able to find it with green dye, but the clear will do the same. I don't know how much sum protection it offers, but at least it will stay waterproof and mildew proof. For sun protection, probably the best answer would be one of the silver-colored tarps and some bungee cords.

kcollum

Mytarp.com sells it 24.95 a gallon

Canvak is an after-market water and mildew resistant solution that can be applied to extend the life of cotton duck canvas. Brush on water-resistant Canvak canvas preservative for RETREATING awnings, tarpaulins, canvas, covers and tents.Very easy to apply. Just clean and dry fabric surface to be treated, then brush on Canvak. Let it dry. One gallon can.

Canvak is not recommended for use on vinyl finishes or synthetic fabrics. Please make sure to find out the exact fabric type of your tarp, tent or awning and test it before applying.

Canvak Ingredients

85% Mineral Spirits
12.5% Inactive Ingredients
2.5% Zinc Naphthenate

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks