• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canvas maintenance?

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Being that it is the rainy/snowy season, I was wondering if there is any maintenance that can be done to keep our canvas tops in good shape? I cant remember seing this subject and could'nt find anything using the search. My top is starting to look a little weathered. Anybody have any tips for making it last?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I remember someone saying that real canvas (not the modern vinyl stuff) will actually lose it's color (the green dye) if you wash it a certain way.........

Armada

I use a canvas waterproofing on my soft top and on my GP medium tent. Sprayed every other year or two on the tent since it sits inside most of the time, and at least once a year for the top since its exposed to the elements. Farm stores usually have it in large buckets. I use a hand held sprayer to put it on. Water beads up for a long time.

Dieselsmoke

Djfreema said:
Being that it is the rainy/snowy season,?
Don't worry as much about the rain and snow on your canvas..it's the sun that puts the biggest hurt on canvas! I use the good old military canvas treatment with the OD dye in it, but you can't find it available anywhere unless you look really hard. There are commercial treatments like Canvak available at most camping/outdoors shops but it's not that great.

Kaiserjeeps

So where do you find the stuff with the dye in it? I was told by Judith at NLR to buy canvak from cabela's. I tried it and was pleased. No leaks but it is also clear with no dye. I would prefer to renew the color too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks