• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canvas Preservative?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There is some stuff made for canvas specifically for preserving.

It is called CANVAK and I know ODcloth.com sells it.

Here is what they say:

CANVAK Canvas Preservative (clear). Restores Mildew and Water Resistance, 100 Sq Ft coverage (spray or brush on) N/A $25.00

YOu can find it at the bttom of this page:

http://odcloth.com/m38.html

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used Canvak on my canvas covered ice huts and tents. http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0005871513996a.shtml My canvas top is nearly new still so I have not needed to seal it yet but when I do I will use Canvak unless someone leads me to an even better product. Btw, Canvack smells bad too(not the same as the mil canvas smell),but the smell goes away in time. (its pretty much just parafin wax suspended in a solvent, i think) You just use a paint brush to apply it. I have been very happy with the results i get with it.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I assume you would clean the canvas first, but what is the best way to clean it and what with
I don't know, but be careful. I have been told scrubbing it with soap can wash out the dye used to color the canvas green.

You could end up with an arctic look to your canvas!! rofl

papercu

All that may/is good but to keep your top, you'll need to keep it out of the sunlight UV rays. If you don't have a shelter and/or don't want to remove the top, buy a tarp and cover it up. Just don't cover it while wet. Check out some of the marine sites they use canvas for sails and covers. Wayne