• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canvas question

m35a2cowner

I have a OD canvas cover on the rear of the M35, do the little spring clips (looks like they hold some sort of strap that I don't have to roll up the sides) go on the outside? I have always put them on the outside but I am not sure. BTW, can you get a sand colored rear cover? Thanks

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, now I'm a little confused. On my deuce, which I have the military vinyl top cover on it. It also has the spring loaded clamps.

My understanding was that these go on the inside so that you can tighten the top down to the bows with 1" straps, which I have but have NOT installed. This will smooth out the top against the bows.

Also, by putting the spring clamps on the outside, the US Military logo with part number would be on the INSIDE of the truck. Which I ALSO understood went on the outside.

So NOW I'm a little confused. So, do the spring clamps go on the inside or the outside? And does it matter whether or not top is canvas or vinyl?

jim

m35a2cowner

Tan top

Thanks jasonjc, any idea where one could get a hold of one? Price? Got a sprayer and put the canvas treatment on. It went on very quickly and the stuff really soaked in. Hopefully, it will make it another year.

m35a2cowner

You got me

I don't know, maybe someone else might know. I would think someone would know : )
Any idea where you could find installation instructions? It might say in them. Don't have a picture that might show them, do you?

YoungBill

Canvas questions

I think that the buckles are used to store the sides of the tarp when you roll them up. I have seen photos of M35s in Vietnam with the sides rolled up leaving the top on. I did it one summer for parades and it works well.

Bill in PA
MVPA 21439

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Canvas questions

The buckles go oh the outside of the truck. The numbers are part number and such and go on the inside. There are straps that go on the steel part of the bows. Once the sides are rolled towards the buckle and at the buckle, the little strap is pulled around the cover and fastened to the buckle. If this isn't enough to convince you, check the stitch seams. All edges of seams are to be inside the cover. Helpful hint; if you have an extra hand roll the cover to the inside instead of the outside. When it rains it will roll off instead of filling up in the trough you just made if you roll from the outside. And now you know the "rest of the story"

CGarbee

RE: Canvas questions

Yep, roll the sides up quite often when carrying folks in the back and it works great (buckles to the outside)... Current FM is to leave the sides rolled down when carrying troops (got to be real hot...) as it keeps folks from being able to tell if the truck has troops, supplies, or is empty.. Did I mention how hot it is when the sides are rolled down and not up....?

Kenny must have read the old FM or had some experience...

m35a2cowner

Canvas

Thanks for the definitive word on how the canvas should be placed. Do you know the dimensions of the little straps that hold the canvas up? Is this something you can get from one of the suppliers of canvas goods? Thanks again.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Canvas

The straps are out there. I can't remember the length but am guessing about 8". There is a section in the back to the -10 TM explaining the cover and such. Gives a nice explanation oh how it should be rolled up for storage too. Cabell, my inside roll experience comes from countless weeks camping in the GP Medium. Been soaked too many times letting the sides down.

m35a2cowner

Answered my own question

Well I answered my own question. A few weeks ago I went to an auction and bought a pile of rotten bows just for the hardware and a couple of fiberglass bows in the pile. I got to looking at them this afternoon and darned if they didn't have some straps on them. My 5 dollar investment is beginning to pay off. Anyhow, I took one off and measured it. Its 14 inches from the place where it goes through the metal attachment tab. Sorry for the quality of the picture, its time to update cameras. Hope this helps out

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks