• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Capacitor on alternator

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Skinny is correct.

The capacitor is there to suppress possible electrical noise or "hash" emanating from the alternator. The alternator will work with or without it.

The capacitors inline with the wiper motor wires are there for the same reason.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As time goes on, I've personally found those capacitors to cause more trouble than good. The horn cap failed, and the wiper caps were causing a slow wipe. I removed both of those and the horn/wipers resumed working correctly. I removed the cap off the alternator too. Given how advanced surveillance is these days, there's no need for these parts to remain on the truck. They already knew you were around when the glow plug relay clicked...

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Caps do dry out and go leaky. This will certainly cause issues of they are not good.

I had to replace the caps on my alternators. The hash emanating from them rendered the HF and up into the lower portions of the VHF spectrum useless.
New caps made a big difference but there was still one more item causing a lot of RF noise.

The low coolant module was making a lot of RF noise, I unplugged it and all the noise disappeared.

Skinny

That's weird, I removed the cap when rebuilding the alternator and was immediately intercepted by Russian spies...probably should have kept them on.

On a more serious note, my truck still has the caps on the wiper motor. Wonder if I should just remove them anyway at this point since I'm done with covert ops.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks