• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Capacity?

Psywarrior

I was scanning the TM's looking for some info for a friend that wants to convert his gas jeep to a diesel and came across something that didn't make sense. Under towing capacities, it lists only the 1/4 ton trailer and 1K max load for the 1009 and a M101 series trailer with 1500 lb capacity for the 1008. I thought they had the same drive train. Is there an issue with the bumper/hitch mount or is it a drivetrain issue?

unaffiliated

It's the pintle hitch, I would think. Even though they bolted the back bumper on nine ways to Sunday on the 1008, it still is not as strong as a receiver hitch. The bumper on the 1009 is not that strong from what I have seen.

jdeoliveira74

The m1009 is a shorter wheel base which is designed for towing. Now with that said I have towed some weight with my m1009 engine and transmission is the same as the m1008. The gearing is different and I am pretty sure the 4:56 gears make a huge difference when towing

unaffiliated

I put a receiver hitch on my 1008 and I regularly tow (at least until Friday, see Friday the 13th scare thread) a 1500 lb trailer with 4000 lb cars on it. Tows like a dream, you just can't go very fast.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Totally different drivetrains between the M1009 and M1008/1010/M1028/M1031. The M1009 is just a 1/2 ton K5 blazer with the same 10 bolt axles. The military uprated it to 3/4 ton due to an extra leaf spring in the front. The M1009 has 3.08 gears. The M1008 variants have 1 ton axles and springs. Their axles contained 4.56 gears. This accounts for the difference in towing and payload capacities.

On a side note, shorter wheelbases aren't designed for towing.

southdave

out of the TM

this out of the TM

TM 9-2320-289-10

2-14. TOW A TRAILER/AIRCRAFT
a.
b.
c.
Towing Capacities of CUCV Models.
(1)
(2)
M1009. Equipped to tow M416 Series 1/4 ton trailers with maximum towed load
of 1200 pounds for both cross-country and highway travel. Load on tongue should
not exceed 100 pounds.
FA1008, M1008A1, M1028, M1028A1, M1028A2, and M1028A3, Equipped to tow
M101 Series 3/4 ton trailers with maximum towed load of 3100 Ibs. Load on tongue
should not exceed 300 Ibs.
Guidelines for Towing Aircraft Which Exceed Maximum Towed Load Weight.
(1) Speed will not exceed 5 mph.
(2) Truck will be operated with transmission in low range (“ 1”) and transfer case in “2H.”
(3) Gross load will not exceed 10,000 pounds for M1009, 15,000 pounds for M1008,
M1008A1, M1028, M1028A1, M1028A2, and M1028A3.
(4) Tongue load will not exceed 100 pounds for M 1009, and 300 pounds for M1008,
M1008A1, M1028, M1028A1, M1028A2, and M1028A3.
(5) Operation will be on a level, hard surface.
Guidelines for Towing a Trailer on Hills.
(1) When going up or down long, steep hills, downshift transmission to lower gear range
and reduce truck speed to 45 mph (72 kph) or below.
(2) if you must park truck with loaded trailer on a hill, follow these steps:

The axles, ratios, and wheel-base are the biggest differences in towing capacity. The bumpers and the way they are mounted are different from each other too.

The engine, trans, and T-case are the same, and they can handle towing more than 1500lbs.

The 1k and 1500lb capacities are for off-road travel. I also think the military underrated the towing capacities for safety. A 1009 towing 7000lbs with 700lbs on the tongue offroad, or on road for that matter, isn't very safe.

A stock K5 Blazer's towing capacity is 4-5000lbs. But with such a short wheelbase towing more than 2500-3000lbs could get a little hairy at times.

Psywarrior

Basically, all I am looking to do is tow from town to the desert. Less than 50 miles and most of that will be highway. If I installed a class 3, could I safely pull a 101 trailer with a box in it?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Basically, all I am looking to do is tow from town to the desert. Less than 50 miles and most of that will be highway. If I installed a class 3, could I safely pull a 101 trailer with a box in it?
the stock pintle can handle it. as long as the trailer isn't super heavy, I wouldn't hesistate to tow a 101 on the pintle.

Psywarrior

That makes me feel so much better. Thought I would have to change my plans and look for a 1010 as a hunting/bugout vehicle. I have a scrap yard in Ontario Cali that I will have to swing by next week to see what they have. I delivered across the street from them and saw them unloading a conex box full of the hard containers. Asked what they were doing with them and they tell me if I want one, just go for it. I pulled the nicest looking one out to use as a multi gun hard case, opened it up and it turned out to be a portable field sink for a MASH unit. Gotta see what else they have.

Psywarrior

Is it on the north side of the street?
I just replied to your PM. It is on Santa Ana, just east of Cherry. Take I 10 to Cherry (Where the Peterbilt dealer is), go south to the second light and turn left. They are on the north side of the road, across from SAIA. They have tons and tons of stuff there. Looks like a junk yard for old military gear. They keep a couple of deuces and 5 ton trucks out front and have a lot of containers full of stuff. What, exactly they do there, I don't know but plan on finding out. Will be there Monday or Tuesday depending on how long it takes us to move into our new truck today.

BTW, just after the first light on the left is La Chiquita. Great food. Our previous company had a terminal on Santa Ana and we would bobtail over there to eat. The whole Tilapia is awesome and their tacos are the real deal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks