• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Car trailer for 2 1/2 ton truck

Tango Zulu

What is the most suitable trailer for towing a car behind a 2 1/2 ton truck?
I was thinking of a M10161 but many seem to think that's too heavy for a 2 1/2 and also the bed is too tall.
Then it appears there is a ROWPU variant of this trailer with a lower bed but I can't find any info on that.
The car would a 3400 lbs sedan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Add a received hitch and tow any car trailer you like. If you specifically want a military trailer, there really isn't any good options.

quickfarms

Idaho motor pool has 2 of those trailers for sale. Likely had the gen set and water purification set up on them previously.

http://www.idahomotorpool.com/
That trailer is essentially a low deck M1061.

The problems with this trailer or the M1061 is they weigh about 5,000 lbs empty, this is a heavy trailer and they can push a Duece around. They have a gvw of around 15,000 lbs which exceeds the dueces rated towing capacity and is an automatic Class A CDL. They are short with only a 14 foot deck and the axles are almost centered, this combination makes it hard to balance the trailer and get the tongue weight correct.

A better option would be a civilian 7,000 lb gvw car trailer with surge brakes. With a receiver hitch it would be easy to get the height correct

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
To my knowledge, there is not a miliatary trailer that is a good fit for transporting a passenger car. Even if you accept the weight issues, you'll have trailer height issues, making the breakover angle an issue with any vehicle that's not truck level ride height.

My buddies and I are all car guys and own various special interest cars and we're using a standard civilian car hauler trailer with a receiver hitch on the M35's.

20140809_131419 (Small).jpg20140809_133704.jpg20151014_190351.jpg2015-10-21, GaMilitaryVehicleRally 003.jpg2015-10-21, GaMilitaryVehicleRally 014.jpg2015-10-21, GaMilitaryVehicleRally 017.jpg

Tango Zulu

Thanks for all the replies.
I think I will go civilian then.
The low type M1061 in Idaho also seem a bit expensive when I add shipping to Florida. I can probably get a decent used car hauler for much less but thanks for the info anyway.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCN0010.jpgThe truck will do a whole lot more, then many give it credit for. This trailer weighs 5000#, and needs to be to follow a Deuce. Many commercially made car hauling trailers are very light. Its equipped with electric brakes & 10 ply tires w/7000# axles w/Led lights. The Motor Pool trailer would have better tires & axles & brakes, to match (although the tires are a bit scarce).

Good Luck but you might need a receiver hitch.

Tango Zulu

I am not that worried about the whole weight thing. Its more the height of the bed on the trailer.
The car I plan to tow is my track car and it does not have a lot of ground clearance. I would need excessively long ramps to get the thing loaded even on the low type M1061 - I think.