• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Car trailer suitable for M1008?

Milbikes

In your opinion, would a 16' dual axle (Electric brakes on both) 7,000 GVWR car trailer be safe for hauling a M1008? Empty weight of trailer is about 1,500 pounds.

Would a K2500 6.5 diesel Suburban be able to safely handle the load without damage to engine or trans? The Suburban is in good shape. Thanks for any info. H.

andystamey

I can't tell you whether or not the trailer can handle it, but if you have an actual hitch on the suburban, not just a bumper hitch I wouldn't even worry about it. At most I would check the tire pressure, don't try to to 90 up a mountain side, and after all the ol' diesel will like the workout.

Milbikes

I have a frame mounted hitch on the Suburban. Just a flat-four trailer light connector. I am guessing I would need a different connector to use the electric trailer brakes? H.

UNIMOG-GUY

I towed my M1008 back from Fort Gordon, GA to Blacksburg, VA with a F-350 diesel and a 18ft dual axle trailer. Make sure you have a jack other than the truck's, a tire iron, tools and a comealong and at least 1 extra trailer tire. However I always take 2 extra tires.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you will want trailer brakes but other than that it should work alright i aree with unimog on what to take along with properly securing it to the trailer . how far is the recovery ? the newer brake controlers are simple to install power wire and ground to controller same from controller to rear and one wire to brake light switch . you can get a tee for the rear harness at most auto parts stores or just cut the wires on the 4 prong and mount a 7 prong plug and get a adapter from 7 to 4 prong for tralers that use the flat plug

daw_two

I towed my M1008 back from Fort Gordon, GA to Blacksburg, VA with a F-350 diesel and a 18ft dual axle trailer. Make sure you have a jack other than the truck's, a tire iron, tools and a comealong and at least 1 extra trailer tire. However I always take 2 extra tires.
Okay, I just have to ask. Why 2 extra tires? Do flats on dual axle trailers occur in pairs?

WPNS421

Tomorrow morning I am going to recouver my new M1008, I rented a 16ft trailer, dual axle and will be towing all of this with a 2004 GMC 3/4 ton. I have hauled other trucks this way with no problems. Just make sure that if you have an electric brake controller that you adjust it empty and then when you are loaded. This very important because if not properly adjusted the braking will have to done by the truck when loaded and the trailer when empty not a combination of the two.

3dAngus

I can answer that one as I have the same thing. Your limitation in this case is the tires, not the axles or load.

The tires that come with those trailers are crap. At high speeds, they will shred under heavy load, especially when hot. I have lost more than one just carrying a 1931 model A or some heavy equipment around, like railroad ties.

Be sure not to use the cheap tires they give you and replace them with some good highway tires. Spares are a great idea. You cannot have enough.

P.S. If it is a rental trailer, you don't have to worry about it. They will have excellent tires.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks