• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Carb Float Material in Mil Std Engines?

m139h2otruck

Any idea of the material used to make the floats in the little mil spec engines? 3 kw gen set would not start on Saturday, with no fuel in carb, but pump was working. Took carb off, and separated bowl (very carefully) and the float was stuck closed by being wedged against the bowl wall. Sanded float (a lot!!) and reassembled. Seems to work, but not happy with reusing float bowl gasket. Will the float now sink due to the sanding? Maybe it swelled due to today's new fuel (10% alky)?

mangus580

I often wonder if sanding down the float some would help this. This is the only downfall to these engines... that crazy carb.

peyton

Re: RE: Carb Float Material in Mil Std Engines?

acetomatoco said:
ya all gotta go to www.saturnsurplus.com and get a new carb for less than the cost of 3 Starbucks Supremes....
Except that their floats are the same crappy material and will do exactly the same thing. Been there, done that. Unfortunately it is not the answer.

Peyton

peyton

Re: RE: Carb Float Material in Mil Std Engines?

mangus580 said:
I often wonder if sanding down the float some would help this. This is the only downfall to these engines... that crazy carb.
Not to be too negative but I tried sanding ... just opens the pores and it swells up again. I even tried to seal the float, after sanding, with POR gas tank sealer, that didn't work for long either. I think the only solution is to relieve the float bowl as much as possible with a grinder. If you come up with something that works, *please* share it.

Peyton

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks