• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Carburetor

ida34

They are off the shelf two barrels. Not military specific so you should be able to go to your local place and have them order one for a Dodge truck. I think you have to go with a 3/4 ton or W200. It may be W300 but I think the engine is a light duty 318 two barrel.

Carter

NAPA had them in stock when I needed one for my M882, it's a Carter, model BBD 6537S if they ask.

Last edited:

M880 GC

I just went through my carb. During the process I found a port w/o a fitting on the backside that was open to atmosphere. According to the civi manuals it is for the EGR circuit. I blocked it.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can buy rebuild kits for the carb if you are mechanically confident enough to rebuild it. Usually very little goes wrong with a carb a kit will not fix. For brakes, etc. you ask for parts for a W-200 with the lighter rated front axle, Dana 44.
Regards Marti

Elwenil

Before rebuilding one, check for play or evidence of leaks in the throttle shaft where it sticks through the baseplate. It is very common for Carter BBDs to wear out the baseplate and it must be drilled and bushings installed to get it back in spec. If the baseplate is worn, you might as well replace it unless you have the facilities to install the bushings. Also, look carefully at any replacement BBD you would get at a parts store for the same problem. Many of the rebuilders do not replace the bushings and instead install oversized plastic seals that wear out quickly. If the baseplate is worn, you will have fuel leaks onto the intake and a vacuum leak that will fluctuate wildly and can be impossible to track down and solve later on. I've had good luck getting decent rebuilt carbs from NAPA.