• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CARC and Rain look Great

Heavysteven

Every time it rains my truck CARC Chemical Agent Resitant Coating looks great. I mean it makes the truck look new. Now when it drys up the paint looks faded. Any there any way of keeping the paint saturated to keep this apperance? Maybe a clear coat?

Attachments

JAYHAWK 1962

It does look great in the rain!! I do not know if this works for vehicle paint, have not tried it. But, for ammo cans that i sell ,not sure what paint they use for them, we wash the dirt and crap out of them and use wd-40. Takes all of the oxidation and fading out from seting in the sun and makes them look brand new. Not recommending you do this to your truck, but, it might be interesting to see how it would look on some faded out sheet metal you have laying around.

emr

All the various paints sold in the hobby look better wet, all flat paints that is,... Some will say and me too, that doing anything to the paint is just not original BUT for many years in service before a big inspection guys have wiped down trucks with diesel to give it a nice look like u are admiring, and as for the WD 40 that would be correct to use as a substitute for diesel, I did it for many years on my nice deuce my 24087 that is on the back cover of david Doyles book, look how good it works there. It will also inhibit corrosion for sure, now there are alot of products just like WD that will work just fine, the trick is the oil will last longer than the water, so before a parade or show wipe her down with some WD or substitute, and enjoy....

conductorx

There is a paint product sold at your local big box lumber yard home improvement store. It is called Penetrol. I used it often on faded dull fiberglass. It makes the paint look wet. You usually have to reapply it from time to time. (once a year)

"G"

MiltonFine

I've tried the WD-40 on a couple glossy paints that were faded. I found that it seems to bake out after one hot day in the sun. Don't know if it would be the same on CARC, but petroleum distillates are rather volatile.

Someone once told me to buff peanut butter into the paint (or perhaps just the oil). :-o

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This won't work on CARC, but when I was in the Army in the early 70s, we used to mix a little diesel fuel with the OD semi-gloss and it would make the paint very shiny. This was more popular on MUTTs than on Deuces though.