• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Carc paint going up!!!!!!!!

deuceman51

Talked to Sherwin Williams today and they informed me that our beloved single component CARC has been replaced by the new TACOM Spec CARC. As I understand it, it's mostly the same only lower VOC's and more environmentally friendly. The existing stock is going to start drying up and once it's gone it's gone. SW is not going to produce the old stuff, only the new TACOM spec. Here is the real kicker, priced it out and the new single component is going to cost over $100/ gallon. I don't even know if I will be able to get the old stuff as it has also started to go up in price and is nearing $90/gal for me alone. Question, is anybody even interested in CARC anymore? If so, i'll try and buy up what stock is left in my area for everyone. If not, i'm going to probably be out of the CARC buisness because the hassle and prices are getting to be a bit much.

Orionspath

I am in need of several gallons of 686 Tan here in No.Virginia. Missed the opportunity in Aberdeen as I was "predisposed"by the wife. Need to paint an M101A2 and an M105A2. How much paint will I need for this? I also would like to get enough to Re-paint the duece in a year or two. I am figuring on 3-4 gallons total......What do you think and short of a trip to Dakota, I will look for an "automotive" Sherwin Williams in my area (one down the street only has house paints)

Sevo

Wow, that is expensive... We have a sherman will here locally I will give them a call as I have some A2's and a 109 that I would like to paint. I for sure want to paint the 109 with it. I guess I could paint the others with something different.

what is a good alternative to SW?

I will be in touch

thank you for the heads up
Chris

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Question, is anybody even interested in CARC anymore? If so, i'll try and buy up what stock is left in my area for everyone. If not, i'm going to probably be out of the CARC buisness because the hassle and prices are getting to be a bit much.

I am interested. The Gillespie and Aervoe stuff just doesn't cut it. Looks nothing at all like CARC.

I wanna buy enough CARC from you to paint my Deuce and some other accessories I have laying around (towbars, etc.) but I am flat broke right now.

Guess I need to try and find some change in the couch cushions.

DieselBob

That just figures. I really would like to use carc to repaint my truck but that won't be anytime soon and isn't there a "shelf life" for carc paint.

deuceman51

The cans usually have about 10 months on them till they expire, but in all honesty when they are sealed and you don't open them, they should be alright for a few years. I was pretty shocked myself. They just said the new TACOM approved stuff has lower VOC's in it and that was pretty much the bigger change. Still single component, but a new price, lol. I'm sure they are trying to cover the research costs. Once the supply of the current stuff is gone, it's gone. I may or may not be able to get it right now because the supply is getting smaller by the day. PM me if you want some and I will try and do what I can. Also I can only ship one gallon at a time per USPS regulations to avoid a hazmat fee. I am also making it mandatory that I add insurance to the paint because I just had some get destroyed to a customer in CA.

zout

prepping

Been working on the rust removal of the 109 - picked up 2 1/2 gallons of rust inhibitor and CARC on its way next week along with the primer. Picked up from our vendor that does our body repair.
Painting is sure not what it use to be back in the late 60's - related to how deadly the sanding dust and paint itself has been getting - especially CARC.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are really cracking down on who they sell to. I see CARC getting harder and harder to come by...and possibly drying up altogther. They have caught on that the hobbyist is buying their paint.

zout

caution

safety is a key word either sanding or spraying with anything with CARC on it. Full cartridge - proper fitting mask when sanding and painting. There are folks more experienced that are professionals in this field on this site which is a great benefit to this site that deal with this paint and I have learned a lot since I joined.
Someone spraying - removing anything on these military vehicles should consider first - "safety is not an accident" - check first and the normal little white mask does not cut it with this stuff - or any other paint product.
I will try to post later in the process pictures already taken and after pictures of CARC - going with the normal woodland for what I need - truck is not a mantle piece and will be driven and utilized.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks