• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

carc paint

emr

I have a ton of experience with arvoe and it is not only a great match, it is durable, and fades just like mil paint, aervoepaintnj@msn.com Allen Is a great giy to deal with, sand out the rough spots and paint over it, feather it a bit, Mil trucks are not supposed to be show room ready, as for civy paint, OH NO :(

welldigger

I haven't read up on durabak. Has it got a polyurea additive for tactical usage?
I'm not sure what you mean by that. If I'm not mistaken most spray on bed liners are some form of polyurethane. As far as tactical uses....I don't know. I don't believe the military uses durabak but I guess they could. The manufacturer just happens to make it in od green and coyote tan. For me this means I don't have to tint it myself or paint over it. Its already the color I want. In my case od green and black. I'm going with a 2 tone paint scheme.

demonhunter77

I'm not sure what you mean by that. If I'm not mistaken most spray on bed liners are some form of polyurethane. As far as tactical uses....I don't know. I don't believe the military uses durabak but I guess they could. The manufacturer just happens to make it in od green and coyote tan. For me this means I don't have to tint it myself or paint over it. Its already the color I want. In my case od green and black. I'm going with a 2 tone paint scheme.
Polyurea is a chemical the military versions of line x and rhino lining have in them. Its the same stuff used to cover nuclear reactor facilities with. It actually deters spread of radiation. So it will shield the inside of vehicle from dirty bomb radiation to a point.

Scarecrow1

Oh no demonhunter I didn't mean to cloud the issue of the choice of a bed liner. My comment was directed at the sanding of the paint back down to the metal to apply either paint or a bed liner . As you know it isn't required to bring the surface back to the metal to apply most of them. My concern was that many people are unaware of the bio hazards of the military grade paint and primer. Almost every paint before 1978 had lead asbestos and other toxic matters in them . I too intend to apply a bed liner on my 5ton so please let me know how yours comes out. Oh and you know how we love pictures :) Sorry for the misunderstanding ...........

demonhunter77

Oh no demonhunter I didn't mean to cloud the issue of the choice of a bed liner. My comment was directed at the sanding of the paint back down to the metal to apply either paint or a bed liner . As you know it isn't required to bring the surface back to the metal to apply most of them. My concern was that many people are unaware of the bio hazards of the military grade paint and primer. Almost every paint before 1978 had lead asbestos and other toxic matters in them . I too intend to apply a bed liner on my 5ton so please let me know how yours comes out. Oh and you know how we love pictures :) Sorry for the misunderstanding ...........
No biggie. And believe me, pics are def' gonna be posted. Still.working on getting my donor cab ready for putting it on my deuce first. And i need to find someone in Alabama with the equipment to hoist my bed off her first.

Nonotagain

I've worked in the DOD world with Mil-spec paints for almost 30 years. The amount of dis-information on the contents and hazards associated with their application and removal still boggles my mind.

CARC (chemical agent resistant coatings) are polyurethane coatings that are modified with numerous pigments that are designed to absorb different spectrums of light making it more difficult to detect equipment that has been coated with it.

The chemical resistance is primarily resistance to DS-2 fluid that is used to decontaminate equipment exposed to nerve type agents.

CARC and the epoxy primers used under the CARC contained lead until the early 1990's. They presently contain chromates which are the REAL concern.
The only coating that I have analyzed over the years that contained asbestos was a walkway coating. The asbestos wasn’t supposed to be there, but was being used as a thickening agent. When a sample of the coating was examined using a scanning electron microscope, the coating showed a "snow flake" pattern that is indicative of asbestos. Independent testing resulted in the company being shut down by Uncle Sugar.

All polyurethane paints contain isocynates which cause respiratory problems. Once reacted, (fully cured) no longer present the danger.
Here are some very basic rules to follow:

• Keep children out of the area.
  • Wear a respirator (supplied air) when applying or a good fitting dust mask when sanding any Mil-spec paints.
  • Minimize the amount of dust created when sanding and dispose of the fines as hazardous waste.
  • No eating, drinking or smoking when handling. Wash hands before eating or smoking.
  • Wash contaminated clothing separate from other clothing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks