• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Care and feeding of torsion rods

teletech

I'm rebuilding a CVR(T) Scorpion and I've finally gotten to the point where it's time to do something about the torsion rods.
Mine are/were taped though I read later they went to an epoxy paint.
My vehicle sat for years in hostile conditions before it came to me and it had enough water ingress that some of the rods show some surface rust or in some cases slight pitting. I know this is *bad* and I'll keep an eye out for spares (mostly it's a problem of not wanting to pay for shipping just for that), but for now these are the rods I have, so what's to be done?
My first thought was media-blasting, but what media won't make things worse? I was tempted to think shot-peening might be helpful, thoughts?
Or do I just solvent-clean them up as best I can, paint, and hope for the best? Sand out the pits to reduce the odds of them being stress-risers?
What epoxy have people been liking for this application?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks