• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cargo Body on Tractor Frame?

Scout

It seems like in 5 ton trucks, tractors are much easier to come by than cargos. What I am trying to constuct is a 5 ton with a cargo body and put a hoist under it. I'm not starting with a dump in the first place because the M817 dump body is too short, and I would like drop sides (I want to be able to load from the side with forks, haul dirt/manure, and load logs from the side)

1) Are standard-length cargo bodies about 14'?
2) Will that body length fit on a tractor? I saw somewhere that tractors and dumps were the same wheelbase, but from photos, it sure looks like the tractors have a wheelbase similar to the cargo trucks, and the 817's are really short. Maybe just an illusion from the dump body.
3) What's the situation with adding a PTO? Are all configurations the same tranny? Am I just bolting a PTO on to run my hydro pump?

I need to build what I want anyway, so converting a tractor really isn't much more work than converting a cargo truck. The bed needs to come off anyway and be re-mounted with a hoist.

oilcan

The tractor and dump do use the same chassis, driveline, and all.
If you put a 12' deuce bed on, it'll hang over the rear of the frame about a foot.
My understanding is a dropside cargo bed needs major bracing to survive if you try to tip it.

That's about all I can think of off hand...
There are s few threads rolling around about converting an 818 to other configurations right now. I'm sure a quick search will turn them up.

dm22630

M813s have 14 ft beds.

M818s are about 2 ft shorter......so a 12ft standard deuce bed works fine. Just take the 5th wheel/plates/tire rack/tool box off & bolt a deuce bed right on.

I have one sitting here if you want to trade me for the 5th wheel stuff that you have to take off.

Also....there are MANY MANY threads here about making a dumptruck....I would just search for your answer.

2cents

Wrench Wench

Are there any threads on how to perform chassis extensions, either off the end or splicing into the middle? What kind of channel stock should be used if not material from a donor chassis? What about box stock that can be blocked off to form internal storage tanks for spare fuel, oil, coolant, etc.?

dm22630

Engine5

M51 with a deuce body on it. It has the short side racks on it. It allows room for the 12 volt winch in the front of the cargo bed. And it mounts to the spare tire rack.

Attachments