• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cargo body stakes and bows

Garlstedt

My first post, so sorry if I mess this up! I recently got a 1952 Reo M35A2. Removed the cargo cover and took out the bows and stakes to check their condition. The stakes are a real mixture: some are wood, most are rotted to some extent at the bottom. 2 stakes are shorter metal pieces and are fine, and two are longer ribbed pieces of what look to be fiberglass or aluminum. Two of the bows (all of which are wood are bent in the middle, probably from being at each end and the tension from the cargo cover). The bow corners are mostly o.k., but a couple are beat up pretty well. I've read some of the posts about possibly making some new stakes. Are replacement metal/fiberglass ones available, or wood ones for that matter? I'd like to be consistent in what I have, or does that matter? Are bow corners available? Thanks in advance for any help, while I begin the fun of restoring this vehicle!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replacements are availible... In both wood and fiberglass.. If your not going for a period correct resto, I'd go with fiberglass because it doesnt rot and swell up...

poppop

Welcome aboard!!! You know the top bows are supposed to be curved , so are two bent more than the others? There was a good thread recently about making bows and stakes. I am not one to tell people to search, but I don't remember when or where that post is, and search does not like me. They are available, some dealers have them and they come up quite ofren on e-bay. GMA, the contracter that makes vinal covers for Uncle Sam sells them also, as well as the covers. We have a couple members with new covers for sale also. Check the classifieds here and you might find some stakes and bows also.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are metal stakes available too....I have a dented pocket on one of the sides and a glass or wood one won't fit. I like them 'cause they won't rot. A bit of sanding and paint now and again and they are good to go. There are also metal bows available.

Garlstedt

The two bows that are bent are not only curved as they should be, but are also bent (twisted) forward (or backwards) in the center, as if they warped because of the cargo cover being cinched down too tightly perhaps. I'll check the classifieds/ebay etc. Does GMA have a site? Thanks for the info everybody.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks