• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cargo cover frame restoration - Bow top strap dimensions?

KallyLC

I'm working on restoring the cargo cover frame that came with my truck, it's mostly complete, just missing all of the straps. I've found some that work for the four corners, but the top strap is giving me some issues. I've got the part number, but the only place that I can find one for sale is a German store that won't ship outside of Germany or answer my emails.

My current plan is to make one, I can kind of eyeball the length of it if I have to, but it'd be nice to get some actual measurements if anyone has one to hand.

I had all the parts sandblasted and primed them at work the other week, my bows had been cut up for shipping so I finally found the time to weld them back together today and mock up the frame. Still some tweaking to do, but it's coming together nicely.
IMG_2820.JPGIMG_2821.JPG

KallyLC

My top strap measures 1-13/16” wide by 8’ long. The end loops are 4” overlap and the center loop 6-3/8”long sewed down at 5-1/2” producing a loop for the center bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perfect, thank you.

The guy who I bought my truck off threw in a bunch of parts, including a roll of strap material that I think he was going to use for the same job. Should be more than long enough to make that out of.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm working on restoring the cargo cover frame that came with my truck, it's mostly complete, just missing all of the straps. I've found some that work for the four corners, but the top strap is giving me some issues. I've got the part number, but the only place that I can find one for sale is a German store that won't ship outside of Germany or answer my emails.

My current plan is to make one, I can kind of eyeball the length of it if I have to, but it'd be nice to get some actual measurements if anyone has one to hand.

I had all the parts sandblasted and primed them at work the other week, my bows had been cut up for shipping so I finally found the time to weld them back together today and mock up the frame. Still some tweaking to do, but it's coming together nicely.
View attachment 862741View attachment 862742
I'm willing to bet our very own @Valence would be able to make your straps for you if he can get the dimensions. He makes cargo cover straps, fuel can straps and straps for pioneer tool racks...

And they would be in just about whatever color you wanted....

KallyLC

That might be an option I look into if mine doesn't pan out, but the material I've got was free, so I figue i'll try working with what I've got before sinking any more money into this project. The material's a bit too thick for my sewing machine, but I doubt it'll cost much to get it sewn up.

From the dimensions cjcottrill posted, this is my understanding of it:
1648465849495.png

And hopefully that's right, because I've already measured, cut it, and mocked it up with 100mph tape. Looks pretty good to me.
strapmockup.png

cjcottrill

The center loop looks good and the length looks good. The only thing I see from your drawing is the two end loops should lay flat when stitched. The web is folded back flat on itself and stitched making the end to end measurement 8’.

KallyLC

So whats the part number?
How much did the guy here in Germany want for it?
The NSN is 2540-01-192-4479. Here’s the link to the German store page. Its about $30, which is an entirely reasonable price for a part that’s pretty much unobtainable elsewhere.

But the guy doesn’t offer shipping outside Germany, doesn’t speak English, and never replied to the email I sent in German. So close, yet so far. I’ll just continue with the one I’m making.

The center loop looks good and the length looks good. The only thing I see from your drawing is the two end loops should lay flat when stitched. The web is folded back flat on itself and stitched making the end to end measurement 8’.

My diagram is a bit inaccurate, the end of the folded portion does measure 4” from the end of the strap when squashed flat. It sounds like it’s right, only thing to do is try it on the frame and see how it fits. Thanks for the advice!

cjcottrill

This is all the Tech Data I could dig up.

GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS ITEM DESCRIPTION96 3/4 IN.O/A LG,3 LOOPS,1 IN.DIA

If you wanted to deal with him, I would help. Also I would send it to you for cheaper then he would.
I don’t know if the webbing shrinks at all but I took mine off the truck and stretched it out on a flat surface, it measured 96” as opposed to 96-3/4”. It is pretty old and has been wet and sun baked many times. I suppose if it is cotton it would be reasonable to imagine that it could have shrunk 3/4” over the years. I looked for an original strap for several years before getting a hold of a very used one that had been stored out in the weather for several years.

KallyLC

This is all the Tech Data I could dig up.

GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS ITEM DESCRIPTION96 3/4 IN.O/A LG,3 LOOPS,1 IN.DIA

If you wanted to deal with him, I would help. Also I would send it to you for cheaper then he would.
I’ve already mostly finished the one I was making, but it would be nice to have an original.

If you’d be willing to buy it and ship it to the UK, I’d be interested to know how much it might cost. A ballpark figure would be fine but I can DM you the address if you want to work it out exactly.

Thanks!

KallyLC

My brother came over and helped me drill the holes for all my new turnbuttons, riveted them in, and we put it all together for a test fit on the truck.

IMG_2920.JPGIMG_2921.JPG
IMG_2922.JPG

The measurements on that strap I made seemed to be close enough, and the 100mph tape even held together well enough to hold the weight of the top while we test fit everything. I think I need to bump the hoops out to the second pin hole to take up the slack, but it generally fit pretty well.

Still missing the two rails at the front of the bed, as mine are bent beyond saving and need to be remade, but everything else works great. Getting close to being ready to paint this thing and call it done.

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My brother came over and helped me drill the holes for all my new turnbuttons, riveted them in, and we put it all together for a test fit on the truck.

View attachment 863657View attachment 863658
View attachment 863660

The measurements on that strap I made seemed to be close enough, and the 100mph tape even held together well enough to hold the weight of the top while we test fit everything. I think I need to bump the hoops out to the second pin hole to take up the slack, but it generally fit pretty well.

Still missing the two rails at the front of the bed, as mine are bent beyond saving and need to be remade, but everything else works great. Getting close to being ready to paint this thing and call it done.

Looks great....where did you source your turn button fasteners. I need to replace mine and have yet to find any that have the single rivet like how they came. dreading drilling 2 holes each for all of the turn buttons.

KallyLC

Looks great....where did you source your turn button fasteners. I need to replace mine and have yet to find any that have the single rivet like how they came. dreading drilling 2 holes each for all of the turn buttons.
Thanks. I did a lot of looking around, but it seems the original style with the single stud machine screw style thread are only available as surplus. The only commercial ones I could find are either a single wood screw or the two hole variety, so I just grabbed a bag of the two hole ones off of Ebay. Cost me about £30 for 40 turnbuttons.

I was dreading the holes too, but I made a little jig for it and it ended up being pretty painless. Hole in the middle so I can bolt it down through the original stud hole, two holes for rivets, quick and easy to knock out 40 or so holes on the drill press.

IMG_2903.JPGIMG_2904.JPG

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. I did a lot of looking around, but it seems the original style with the single stud machine screw style thread are only available as surplus. The only commercial ones I could find are either a single wood screw or the two hole variety, so I just grabbed a bag of the two hole ones off of Ebay. Cost me about £30 for 40 turnbuttons.

I was dreading the holes too, but I made a little jig for it and it ended up being pretty painless. Hole in the middle so I can bolt it down through the original stud hole, two holes for rivets, quick and easy to knock out 40 or so holes on the drill press.

View attachment 863662View attachment 863663

Thats what I was figuring myself, just hoping you had the magical link to make that all go away LOL. Thanks and good work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks