• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cargo cover frame restoration - Bow top strap dimensions?

KallyLC

Great to hear, my 100mph taped strap survived the mockup but came to peices as I was putting it down. Looking forward to having the real thing so I can finish it off.

I made a little more progress today. The two rails for the front of the bed that came with my pile of parts were a bit mangled, they might be salvageable with a press or some heavier metalworking tools, but I can't straighten them back out with what I've got. I picked up some angle iron to replace them and got the holes drilled for the first one. Spent the rest of the evening measuring the old ones and plotting out where all the holes need to go. Should hopefully be able to finish these up this week. Hoping to have it done by easter for a show, but we'll see.

1649113170745.png

IMG_2929.JPG

KallyLC

Recieved a package from Germany this morning, the final piece of the puzzle has arrived. Thanks again, Guyfang!

IMG_3041.JPG

I thought it might be interesting to compare it against the strap I made to mock things up using the measurements cjcottrill provided, and it actually wasn't far off. I would've gotten this strap sewn up properly if I hadn't been able to get the original, so it's nice to see that it would've worked if I'd needed it.
IMG_3043.JPGIMG_3044.JPGIMG_3045.JPGIMG_3046.JPG

If anyone else is in my boat and needs this strap, hopefully those measurements will help.

I'm just waiting on paint, now. If it doesn't turn up tomorrow I'll probably just pressure wash all the bird crap off the cargo cover so it's nice and clean for when the frame is finished, and take the rest of the day off.

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I continue my search for that very strap, I was able to take a couple of Harbor Freight cam straps to make a giant loop. Extended it out to approximately the right dimensions and then throw my cover on. A few more minor adjustments and then wrapped the excess strap around the center hoop to lock it in place. Not very pretty but will work for now. The search continues.

Guyfang

Staff member
Well. I did this deed for Kally. I offer the same to you. If your willing to foot the bill, price of the strap and postage from Germany to you, I am willing to do that. PM me if that's an option. I have no idea what postage cost, and am not going to look. Its what it is. I don't want a cent more then the cost of the strap and postage.

Guyfang

Staff member
Chris,

Just ordered it. 34.50 euro=36.40 dollars at todays exchange rate. That might go up a tad or down a tad. But nothing earth shaking. That's the strap, taxes and shipping to my house. Last time took him about 5-6 days to get it to me. Slow. I will let you know how much shipping is when its in the mail. You pay when you get it. Don't get it, don't pay.

Now, Prost! have poured a glass of fine German beer and listening to Gov't Mule. Life is good.

Later Dude!

Guy

KallyLC

IMG_3103.JPGIMG_3109.JPG

My paint arrived a week or two ago, finally found the time to turn all my parts green again this this afternoon. The spray guns my dad used to paint his GPW back in the 90s were still hanging in the workshop, it only felt right to put them back to work to make some more things green.

I'll probably have to do some touchups after I asemble it all on the truck tomorrow, but that's no big deal. It's not perfect, but it's good enough for what it's for.

cucvrus

I think I might've seen those, but the price was a bit of a turnoff. If you can afford it and want to keep it all original they're a much better option than what I went with.
That looks like inexpensive hardware to me. I buy Kubota fasteners and hardware. Expensive is only the cost of doing it right the first time. Try doing it wrong a few times. Is that less expensive?

KallyLC

Yeah, it's expensive however you look at it. If I'd have ordered those from that website with the machine screw, it would've cost me somewhere around $160 to get the amount I needed. The ones I bought locally are from the same manufacturer, they function exactly the same where it matters, just they're the two rivet style and needed some extra holes drilling. I bought more than I needed and it still cost me less than $45. It might've been nice to do it with the original style fasteners, but it wasn't worth the extra $110 to me.

It's a job done right, it's just not factory. Have a great day.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks