• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cargo Cover Options

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I currently have the "newer" cargo cover made with the vinyl-ized material. I'm painting my truck a simple one color green like it was in 1971 when it was new. I'm thinking I might want to go "canvas," but I haven't completely decided.

Does anyone have experience with either and can tell me the pros and cons of both? Do the ropes from the old canvas covers dry out and break. Can they be easily replaced? Are the canvas covers too much work to install and remove? Do they let water in easily and rot quickly? Will the camouflage cover I have now look out of place on my 70s looking deuce? Can it be painted and still not look like poo?

This is bugging me right now, and I'm tossing around what to do. I like the looks of the solid green canvas, but I know the newer cover has to be better. But, is it better, "enough?"

Thanks, and please have mercy.

jeli

I'm a canvas guy just for the smell alone. I picked up a 5 ton plastic cover cheap. I like the integrate front flap to keep the elements out. I don't like the rear flap cause it seems like a pita and can't be stored as well as the canvas end curtains that can be removed al together. The plastic might weather winter snow better if you leave it on all year. Both have their pluses and minuses.

rmgill

The vinyl covers are VERY nice and VERY durable. Much harder to break down in the sun and Much more resilient to damage. Mine's be rubbed on by trees and where canvas would have ripped this stuff shrugged off with very minor scratches.

cbvet

We have the canvas cover from Memphis Equipment on the '52 M35 & it really looks good.
The '70 M35A2 has the green vinyl cover. I don't think the vinyl looks as good, but feel it's much more durable. Also simple to repair with a swimming pool repair kit.
Eric
CBVET

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm leaning toward canvas, but if the vinyl-ized is available in solid OD, I may go that route. I'm checking prices with Memphis right now. It may come down to price if there is a big difference.

Eric, did the vinyl cover come from Memphis, also?

I believe I've seen some trucks with painted plywood in the forward position, at the front of the bed, near the cab. It looks like a good idea, but maybe a cheap fill. I'm not sure how it was secured into place.

jeli

My truck had plywood ends. They used short pcs of angle iron bolted to the front bow. They also had a second sliding rear window front a hard top mounted in the plywood so you could have both windows open.

FormerNewMVGuy

I have a canvas cover and cab top. I like the canvas, but when i have extra money i will probably go vinyl, due to the fact that i tend to go through some tight spots from time to time, and dont want to ruin my nice canvas!

steelandcanvas

Re: RE: Cargo Cover Options

jeli said:
I'm a canvas guy just for the smell alone. I picked up a 5 ton plastic cover cheap. I like the integrate front flap to keep the elements out. I don't like the rear flap cause it seems like a pita and can't be stored as well as the canvas end curtains that can be removed al together. The plastic might weather winter snow better if you leave it on all year. Both have their pluses and minuses.
And I thought I was the only one that loves the canvas aroma!

cbvet

My green vinyl top is GI. Don't know where it came from.
It's a lot heavier material than the newer tan vinyl 5 ton cover I recently got. I suspect it's pretty durable.
Eric
CBVET

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hear-tell the cargo cover for the new Marine Corps 7-ton truck fits the M35A2 cargo bed, perfectly. It's green on one side and camo on the other. Has anyone tried this cover on a deuce? Any + or - ?

My paint man didn't think the paint I'm using on the truck would do well on the cargo cover. He felt it would crack and peel, then look like poo. I agreed.

littlebob

Like you I'm trying to make mine look the same era. It will probly be another year before I get to the rear canvas and I think my decision will be made on whether I have a covered place to store the truck at that point. If not covered I would probably go for the vinyl and then try to save up for a canvas to use
when used for parades ETC.
littlebob

houdel

oifvet said:
My paint man didn't think the paint I'm using on the truck would do well on the cargo cover. He felt it would crack and peel, then look like poo. I agreed.
I used Krylon "Fusion" camo paint in the rattle can to touch up my vinyl cover. It is specifically made for use on composites, it lightly etches the underlayment to get a good grip on the plastic. The touch up I did last summer (2006) still looks great.

rsites

Canvas Cargo Cover

Be very cautious when buying a Canvas cover. I bought one of many you will see on Ebay and other places, "brand new in the crate" with all the bows and hardware. Looked and smelled just like new. Awesome, I thought! Many of these "new" are very old and seasoned even though never used before. In the past 24 months, 4 of my tie downs have completed ripped the grommet out of the canvas when I tied it down. The canvas is old and seasoned I guess. I prefer the Canvas too, but make sure its "new" in age, not just never been used before and is 15 years old!

emr

U can buy new canvas from great deakers like Newlife and weebee webing, it is all in prefference, I had my OD truck with canvas because it would look silly with vinyl, my desert has new vinyl because it would be correct, camo cover on tan truck is also correct , because it was so widly used and still is, the canvas that is not dry rotted at all is EXTREMLY durable, and will not rip at the sight of a branch, the newlife canvas i have seen seems to be the heaviest, beechwoody is the lightest i have seen, although they swear it is the correct oz. i have had canvas now from them all , so i have an opinion, and would be willing to give it off list, what i said above is fact, the vinyl does stand up to sun and long term weather better for sure, it is just better tech. canvas needs to be re treated with the herbacide every few years along with the water repelent , it is a maintenence thing,it is also the herbacide that smells so good, to fend off rot... like real nice wood siding campared to plastic vinyl, that is the simplest way to put it, canvas will last your lifetime if U take care of it, if one lets it dry out and sit in dirrect sun light , its not the canvas's fault .all covers left in the sun should have a silver tart pulled over the bed cover and cab cover and just tight enough to let wind go under it, that is an opinion that is just good advise, i have a NOS solid green cargo cover for my 925 that would be correct from the first contract from the 1982 run... that i am going to soak with sun protectant of the turtle wax family type very soon, and will pour it thru the rope ends too, so they stay soft and the rope has less friction to wear it out, like everything , there are some things that will last longer than others , and there are some that are correct for your period u are trying to make your truck, its all up to u, just take care of it, nothing will last for ever...2 cents,,,and to much im sure, sorry...:-D..good luck