• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cargo Cover or Soft Top Repair/ Fix

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anybody know how to repair / fix, vinyl soft tops or cargo covers? My dilemma is last winter the mice chewed a hole in my cargo cover for the deuce. I was so, so angry because that cover was mint. It was almost brand new. I thought there were two holes in it, but when I last looked, I only found one. The hole is about the size of a coffee can. I have the wrecked soft top from my truck when I rebuilt it, so I have material. I don’t know if it is the same exact stuff material, but it has to be close. I spent all the time making the truck look nice and then to find my cargo cover was chewed on really upset me. Luckily, the hole is on the top, about a foot or so from the edge of the truck, so it will not be that visible from outside. I just don’t know where to start or guess how to fix it. sew it or glue it somehow? I don’t like fixing things twice, so I want to do it right the first time. Eureka Tent and Awning is not too far from me and I know they make military tents. I just don’t know how much it would cost to fix vs. buying a new cover. One thought was to buy a brand new cover and patch this one somehow so I have a mint cover again and another cover that I can use to put on the truck for winter to keep firewood in. Anyway, any suggestions on where to start (other than setting a lot of mouse traps to get back at the little buggers)?

There is a official military patch kit, I have a couple. It contains a heat gun, patch material, solvent, glue and a few other items. I don't have one handy to give you the specs, but I do know that there are several other threads by people who have had success with their attempts. Check out the "similar threads" below, then check those threads in the same location. If you still have questions I may be able to dig out one of those kits this weekend, depending on the amount of White Death (snow) we get.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use your old top as a patch and go buy some PlioBond from your local hardware store.

Scarecrow1

I used a patch and gorilla glue and put a brick on it over night . I was impressed with the bond even when you flexed it . I also used the as seen on TV rubber spray two days ago for some worn spots that leaked when it rained hard. They were on the soft top where it had been folded and stored. It is raining tonight so I will see if it worked before I paint it. I won't replace it until spring or summer in case we get ice or snow. I know the minute I do a limb will break and find my new soft top to land on ............

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pliobond. Trust me.

EO2NMCB

From patching tarps on my stepdeck. Make sure you clean with paint thiner, the area to be patched before using the glue, and all ways cut your patch round never square.

toddm

I had to fix a big tear in my Deuce cargo cover and I used a vinyl cement, HH-66. I initially got it from a local curtain wall maker, but I needed more, so I looked it up on google and found more. I was surprised how easy it was to use and how durable it has been.DSCN5114.jpgDSCN5419.jpgDSCN5425.jpg

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are several types of the vinals. Getting the correct glue is important. I took a sample to the Tent & Awning Folks. they fixed me right up. Knew the kind it was, and exactly what to use. Get the cright glue, and it ani't coming apart. The patch will be no problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks