• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cargo cover

jfnemt1ff1

Ok for those of us that have to deal with snow,is it best to remove the cover to keep the weight off it. I will not have time to build its new home this winter. So what do you think.
John

Scarecrow1

Hi John , I don't think it would be wise to leave the cover on . Although I'm in SC I can assure you it will not stand the ice and snow loads without stressing the limits of the fabric play it safe use cheap tarps from lowe,s or home depot . They are disposable and cheap. Good luck&stay warm :razz:

waayfast

I live in deep snow country(snow- The White Death) and to be safe I pull the cargo cover and the bows and put them in a shed.Then I park the truck in the tree well of a Ponderosa Pine behind the house since I dont have room in the shop for it.I cover the cab with a Walmart tarp and shovel out the bed once in awhile.Made it thru the last one OK.

Attachments

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok for those of us that have to deal with snow,is it best to remove the cover to keep the weight off it.

Thanks! Was just wondering the same thing. I have a soft top cab and am going to build a cover made of 2 x 4s and plywood to protect that.

Mt Doom Field Owner

I agree with the above members... I just posted about breaking one of my overhead wooden cover supports with just a light pull on a rope. If they are wood they may be old and weather cracked and any weight at all would break them. If you had the metal type I bet you'd be ok. In that case I'd worry about the fabric stretching or splitting. Better to take it off during the winter and store it inside. But like I would know!... in Alabama we might have 1/2" for a few hours before the sun melted it off.

Last edited:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Taking the cover off would be best, but you knew that.

This spring there were 140+ trucks in Grayling, they were there from the winter before.
I got two soft top trucks & 2 with cargo covers.
They appear to have held up to two northern Michigan winters, the cab bows on one were bent down abit.
the cargo covers both had some 1/4" plywood / underlayment across the bows though.
My M36A2's vinyl cover made it through last winter ok.
This year I've added some furing strips over the bows to keep it from sagging in between.
Just don't have the space to store them anywhere right now.

I too use the pinetrees for snow protection, for the ones that don't get the indoor storage.

Attachments

emr

They are made to take it, But then again i would do my best to protect it, or at least like mentioned above, It is easier to shovel out the bed than pick up the torn and or broken bows with a broken heart...the units by me in northern NJ, Used to put a row of 1/2 inch ply down the middle and that makes all the difference in the world for a truck stored outside...,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks