• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cat 3116 fuel pump issue?

Sir Vyvin

I broke down with my M-109a4 on a road trip in Beloit. With no local Cat dealer around or open, I was lucky(?) to be in walking distance to an Autozone. After checking all lines and filters, I was able to determine that the mechanical fuel pump had failed. The Autozone had an electric pump that was what I figured was low enough psi to not do any damage but had capacity to run the truck (5 to 12 psi @ 35 gph). A visit to Ace Hardware down the street for fittings and some creative wiring (the pump was 12v), I was able to start the rig and nurse it home to where the pump overheated and failed as I pulled in the drive.
($70 for the pump saved me $400+ tow bill)

Now my problem. While I'm a good enough mechanic to fix most common engine problems, I'm fairly a newb at these FMV issues and almost no experience with the Cat engines. I'm hoping the one of you out there may know more and can help with knowledge that I lack. Specifically with any or all of the following:

* fuel pump specs such as psi and gph

* fuel pump and system diagrams and manuals (access?)

* engine diagrams and manuals

* part numbers or access for pump rebuilding or rebuilding kits

* and relevant info you think would help

Any help in these matters would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sir Vyvin

Sir Vyvin

The Caterpiller 3116 has a mechanical fuel pump located on the top of the governor near the front left of engine. There is no in-tank pump on the m109a4's and I have to assume this applies to the m35a3's as well, at least thats what the hand drawn fuel system diagram that i got from a cat dealer shows.

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

The TM's would have alot of that info. They're at the top of the home page and downloadable for free. But that's all I've got, I have a A2. Hope you get her back on the road quick!

Sir Vyvin

TM's for a2's don't help much as the 3116 is totally different fuel system. Only TM's I found are maintenance and don't give system specs. Thanks for the input though. If you have links to different TM's, plz post.

Ford Mechanic

Wow I thought all the TM's were there, but your right only 2-3 there. Mabey someone else will have them and can post them up to share. Good luck I'd say it just got harder.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
By the way, the Cat dealer has no idea as the engine serial number doesn't show on records. Without number, he has no specs.
That is strange. I had a friend that is a CAT field service person run my M35A3 engine number. He came up with everything about the engine, date first test, final test, date delivered and all the actual test results etc. Also all the other stuff relating to that particular engine.

Reactions: HDN

garp

That is strange. I had a friend that is a CAT field service person run my M35A3 engine number. He came up with everything about the engine, date first test, final test, date delivered and all the actual test results etc. Also all the other stuff relating to that particular engine.
HAD a friend, geez.

• Haha
Reactions: HDN

Sir Vyvin

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out soonest. The engine serial number is 5RM04563. Hope you can find out something for me. I really need the fuel pump pressure and gph if your friend can find it.

garp

ok, here is what I found. Serial#5RM04563 Arrangement#4R9154 Spec#2T6196 Build date 8/6/98 170hp @ 2700rpm fuel rate 10.3gph 66psi fuel pressure

Sir Vyvin

Resolved? Well that is a complicated question. I believe I'm developing a course of action. Thanks Garp for the pump specs. That gives me a start to finding a electric pump to at least run the thing until I can solve the whole problem. Thanks to cattlerepairman for the links he provided. I'm not so sure the pump has to be replaced so maybe I'll get one to have as a spare anyway.

If anyone has an idea as to where one can be had, please let me know.

There is some tank gunk, but I have been using Algae X Fuel Catalyst to get rid of that. I'm thinking though that removing the tank and getting it steamed would probably be a good idea. The check valve at the tank appears to function properly. I figure I'll work on replacing the fuel lines too.

I could still use mechanical diagrams for pump and engine if anyone has access to them.

My next most likely move will be to run a line from a can directly into the pump and try a prime to see if mechanical can be brought back to life but I have my doubts there.

Since the rig ran with that crap pump mounted at the tank with no "obvious" fuel leaks and air blows freely through to the filter from there, I still figure that the only other sticking point HAS to be the mechanical pump. I hate to go in blind so I'm gonna peruse the area Cat dealers for info before going in. I'll update as I go for prosperity sake in case anyone else ever has this problem.

Sir Vyvin

Work and farm stuff has prevented me from doing anything to the UARV until now. Tried an experiment by placing a 5 gal. on the fender and running a clear hose into the mechanical pump. Cranked the engine and it started and sucked fuel from the can. I have to assume the the pump must be working then.

Next item is to replace the fuel delivery hose. Have to assume there is an air leak in it somewhere that causes the pump to lose prime. If anyone has any suggestions as to where one can be had, info would be welcome.

Sir Vyvin

Update: Found a place to get a hose. Hydraulic Services & Repairs Inc, Spring Grove IL makes hoses and metal lines while you wait. Not quite the Kevlar coated original, but still extra heavy duty and very flexible. Did a great job for under a c-note.

Removed tank and boiled it out with 1 gallon muriatic acid 8 gallons water mixture and let it cook for 4 hours. Sprayed it out with the high pressure washer and bright shiny metal now. After a 24 hour drying period installed the tank and hose and good to go.

By the way, anyone know what the 3rd line into the tank is for? Small and plastic like a air line looks like it attaches to a check valve that screws into the tank. Tried to trace it back but keep losing it in the bundle of wires. Its not mentioned in the TM's but available info is sketchy on these.

steven stuchell

What did it turn out what's wrong with it my truck did the same thing 2 months ago and I still have not figured it out I have replace the check valve the main line going from the tank to the pump fuel filter water separator the two valves Inlet and Outlet at the pump and also some old rims for truck will start and run on starting fluid but is not getting fuel

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks