• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CAT 3116 initial startup hints/tips

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All,

Been a bit of a slow, heavy process working through getting the M35A3 back on the road. Now that decent tires (and brakes) are on the truck, it's time to turn to the engine. Does anybody have any suggestions/thoughts/tips on what it takes/what to watch out for? I have a diesel mechanic buddy coming in town Saturday to lend a hand, so I can leverage just about any input I'd think.

First thing I intend to do is change all the filters and fluids. Owing to covid-induced issues, looks like I'll be using Wix filters in the immediate (while I sus out the proper Cat filters- once my local Napa reopens). While going through this, anything to look out for/test?

Unless there's something I'm overlooking/ignorant to, I'd like to use Mobil Delvac a)so that I stick with one kind of oil across the fleet and b)because it's readily available.

Thanks for any/all imparted wisdom,
SJ/JD

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After a bit of initial head scratching, the day ended on a positive note: the beast is solid and fires reliably.

The previous caretaker of the truck, a former SS member, did a good job of prepping the truck for storage. There was a broth of seafoam, diesel and gas in the fuel tank. Crystal clear. Siphoned that off into a 55g drum before moving on to the injector (the mechanical fuel pump, while present, was completely disconnected - need further investigation - any thoughts/input appreciated). With the aid of a portable fuel pump was able to get fuel through the injector to both supply and return sides. (this check was made easier by the nice red dye in the off-road diesel that was being used for this process).

Thankfully the AT1545 had been previously removed for a rebuild (and is still out of the truck). I say thankfully, because it's absence made it entirely more reasonable to spin the crank (via a 4' 1/2"breaker bar and a 3/4" socket on the fly wheel). It was free and without sticking points. Another plus.

At this point, the decision was made to do a brief test fire of the engine. All of the belts and everything were present and good shape, but still, no coolant at this point. So it was going to have to be brief.

After putting some conventional car batteries in the battery tray and hooking up a slave cable to another truck, it was discovered that the starter would not do it's job. Ultimately, the hunch is that an interlock is missing somewhere. If anybody has any input/ideas here, that'd be great.

To circumvent this, a screwdriver was used and the beast roared to life!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like you are taking your time to check things over before going for the smoke and noise. It is always exciting to wake up a long dormant engine. Glad it seems to work out so well!

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anybody have input regarding the mechanical fuel pump on a 3116? I've head that they have failed silently, leading to filling the block with diesel. Is this FUD or truth?

I put 395/85R20s on the truck. Which means the spare will no longer fit in the stock location. I was considering a second fuel tank or second tool box in that location instead. Anybody done that?

The winches... what good/bad/ugly is there to know about them?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks