• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cat 3116 max altitude questions

Duckworthe

I have a 1997 3116 engine and it has a max altitude sticker but I can't read it anymore. I'm wondering what it used to say, and if I could drive the truck up through Colorado through Vail 10,000 foot of elevation? Will these engines just starve for oxygen? I know it will be slow going, as is every long hill. What do you guys think on the altitude concern?

I've been curious about that listed altitude limit as well. We sometimes camp above 11,000 ft in the summer out here, so it would be nice to understand what happens when you take it up that high. It would be bad if it didn't want to cold start at that altitude.

Ours hasn't been above 4,000 ft yet. It would be interesting to hear what others on the forum have done. What is the max elevation that you have taken your 3116 truck to?

Thanks,
Michael

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think normally aspirated engines struggle more than a turbo. I'd be surprised if you really notice any difference in Colorado unless loaded near max weight. I took a NA 6.2L 4x4 Chevy out there many moons ago. I flipped the air cleaner cap upside down and it seemed to do fine.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A naturally aspirated engine is going to struggle a bit above 8000 ft, the heavier the load the more the struggle. A turbo charged engine has the ability to create its own atmosphere so to speak, it will be able to maintain its performance up to a much higher elevation than a non-turbocharged engine. The 3116 CAT is a very good long life engine, even if you have to slow down a bit that is certainly not the end of the world!
Karl

coachgeo

Pretty sure all th CAT's in FMTV line are Turbo and they are the ones labeled with the warning so the NA considerations are a Mute point.

langstonhs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greetings,

I am looking at a 97 M1078 with the 4922ft altitude limit on the engine sticker (3116). I have not purchased it yet because my house sits at 6900ft and anywhere we would take the truck is higher than that, up to about 11,000ft. I read the thread above, but am still concerned about this because any LMTV I bought would be a work truck, often loaded with about 3 cord of logs. I know the 3126 engines can go to about 9000ft, but they are a lot more expensive and harder to find. Do any of you have any experience operating a 3116 truck, while loaded, at very high altitudes? Does the engine overheat? Have any of you had the 3116 engine modified to work at higher altitudes than the truck was originally intended for? Any other input/advice?

Thanks in advance for your help.

coachgeo

also search topkick and kodiak trucks with 3116 engines............ likely more of them that got used at altitude as work trucks..... than FMTV's with 3116 did; thus, might be bit more information about modifications needed can be found when searching them

btw.. kudos to you for searching first to see what info. existed on the topic before starting a brand new thread.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I googled it and learned somethings. I would say since it is a mechanical injection system it will inject the same amount of fuel at any altitude. Problem less oxygen so to me yes egt's would be high and power way down. Wonder if a pyrometer installed would help you keep and eye on exhaust temps. High egt's so you need high rpm to get the hot charge out of the engine or detune the fuel would seem the answer to me. Since defueling the 3116 is out of the question for me in my .02 wrong truck for what you want to do that close to God.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Wonder if adding petrol to the fuel to lower cetane...... reduce gelling... and offer a secondary flame front to help combust the diesel would benefit in this situation... and or propane fumigation?

langstonhs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks again for all the replies. I called Wagner Equipment in Denver, and Chris in the tech department told me the following. The 3116 has the altitude limit sticker to let you know what altitude the rack and injectors are set to operate at. At higher than max altitude the engine will be overfueled for the amount of available air in the atmosphere. He said that while you might not notice a big power difference operating at high altitude, there will be unburned fuel in the engine that could run down the sides of the cylinders into the oil and could damage components that are contacted by engine oil. He said there is also the risk of preignition with all that excess fuel sitting around which could cause piston corrosion. In addition, less air in the atmosphere means less cooling to the engine, and the engine will run hot and have hot exhaust. He said if a truck were to live at high altitude that the engine rack and injectors should be reset for the appropriate altitude, essentially cutting the fuel back to the engine. While he could not give me a quote for the job, he said it would take about an hour for his people to get to the necessary area, then another hour or so to set the rack and injectors. He said that, in all, it would be a 3-4 hour job, and if this has been done on a truck it would not necessarily be indicated by any kind of modification sticker on the engine. He said those things are documented in a report at CAT, but if there is no such report, they could use a tool to determine what altitude the truck is set to run at.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good to know but disagree with might not notice power loss I believe you would. So for Smitts & giggles I called my local Cat dealer. He quoted 1K to run over head. Now if I did not say it I do not no Cat's or what it takes to run over head. I heard of tools that will drain you pocket. Now I do not know if the whole over head has to be run just to cut the fuel down. If I believe the mileage on my truck then running the complete over head might not be needed but if I was to have the fuel cut back I myself would have them run the whole over head. Reason my thinking I want the most out of the truck because I am running high altitude and my fuel is cut back. So now I have a good running truck close to God but way down on power when I come back to Earth. Not trying to discourage you on the truck. I still think I might pick a truck that will do both with computer controlled fuel or different truck. One you can adjust the fuel anytime you want with no cost like a Deuce that would do the same work and not cost so much to maintain.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Frank Curiosity may have killed the cat but operating a 3116 Cat above Max. Alt without fuel change will kill the Cat even quicker. You must reduce the amount of fuel. I would guess there is a manual for how many 1000 feet you want to operate above sea level. I would also bet the way our fuel is set now the 3116 we all have are set for what the data plate states. The OP wants to operate at twice that altitude.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks