• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cat 3116 oil leak

jaymcb

so it begins......

I drove my 109 for a short hop this morning to drop the kids to school. After I parked it, I noticed an oil spot about 5" around on the ground underneath after it had benn parked about 1/2 an hour. WTH! It was NOT there when I started it, so it happened in the last 5 miles of driving.

A quick peak underneath shows it looks like passenger side, and some oil is on the starter. I then had to bolt for work without any diagnosis.

So...where should I look first? :roll:

ratat98

Just a guess after looking at pics of a 3116....Turbocharger oil lines?
EDIT: I guess either that, or we have had problems on a 3126 with the seal between the filter attachment and the block. We have had to replace that seal twice so far.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Nahh you just need a little cat litter. :mrgreen:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Odds are it's either a oil leak from the turbo or oil filter area of the engine. Both are on the passenger side.

jaymcb

Nahh you just need a little cat litter. :mrgreen:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Odds are it's either a oil leak from the turbo or oil filter area of the engine. Both are on the passenger side.
again, a gasket, or is this more like a 'new turbo' type thing?

the leak looked too 'high up' to be the oil filter.

It is a shame that an engine that JUST hit 1,000 miles has a leak of this size. It's a little disappointing, really, age or not......

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry, it's hard to say without even having pics of what's going on. Start from the top and check the valve cover. Then check the head gasket area. Then climb under it and shine a flashlight under it. Focus first on the oil filter/housing. Then investigate the turbo. Working from the top to the bottom should clue you in on the leak. Also start at the front of the engine and work towards the firewall. Remember, the engine fan will tend to blow oil all around.

ratat98

I think you're right peaking in with a flashlight tonight. Is it usually a gasket, or am I going to need a line set?
When we had the filter housing leak on the 3126 it was just a gasket, but the others are right, you need to make sure you know where it is coming from before you start replacing parts. I think it is also common on these engines (i know it is on the 3126) for the rear main seal to leak a little oil. We just ignore it on ours, but your leak sounds a little bigger than ours too.
I know it's a completely different engine, but when I got my deuce, I had a 300 mile drive to get it home, and I stopped 20 miles into the trip, and there was a small puddle of oil under it. I thought aua, but it was 110 that day, and the previous owner (thanks Glen) told me it had never leaked before so I just kept checking the oil level, and since I've gotten it home, it hasn't leaked a bit. I think the heat just got to it. No matter what kind of diesel engine it is, chances are at some point it will leak oil. That's just the way of the diesel!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks