• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cat 3116 tune up?

Lmtv772

Banned
I always had the thought that my LMTV was a bit on the slow side as the 3116 is a bit underpowered. The C7 M1088 we have seems like a drag racer compared. Drove a couple of other cat 3116 (one with 840miles and one with 270) and the seem a lot faster in acceleration as well compared to mine. (8.600miles). What are the things I should do to get that sluggish pick up improved? I don't want to modify the engine, just get it to what it should be.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The first gen trucks are all mechanical. The cat dealer can make some adjustment and give you a bit more power. On the 5ton versions they have 290hp I believe the injectors are a bit larger as is the turbo.

Lmtv772

Banned
The first gen trucks are all mechanical. The cat dealer can make some adjustment and give you a bit more power. On the 5ton versions they have 290hp I believe the injectors are a bit larger as is the turbo.
Like I said, I don't want more power, I want power back. I know it's mechanical :). What I'm asking is what are the things I can do to make her run like she's supposed to .
Did you guy have any experiences.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Sorry didn't understand the question then. I would do fuel filters first. Some of the fuel lines on one of my trucks have some cracking. It hasn't caused a problem yet and I don't use it much anyways. Once it warms up I was going to swap them. The rack is controlled by a linkage to the governor this is basically the throttle as the rack moves the engine gets more fuel. The truck I do drive has a 2012 reman engine. It's noticeably more powerful than all of the other 1078 trucks I have had. There is a port somewhere it's a plug hole made to open and attach a fuel pressure gauge temporarily to aid in engine diagnosis. If filters don't remedy your problem I would move on to fuel pressure and then consult someone more knowledgeable than me on the engine. If your trans is not shifting correctly it could feel like power loss. The sensor on the bottom of the trans is a common issue. And there is a throttle position sensor on the engine that gives input to the trans ecu also.

nevrenufhp

Not having the injectors synchronized will give a power loss, and is part of a 3116 tune up. If you have the tools & patience, you can do it yourself. Most just let a Cat dealer do it. They can also adjust the fuel a smidge when they're in there. Some free power cant hurt. Cat dealers usually stay conservative on fuel settings. They'll sync the injectors, set the valves, and adjust the fuel screw. Out comes a happy kitty.

Lmtv772

Banned
If you have an older LMTV and you bought the filter kit of off evil bay and paid ~ $44. Make sure to buy a different secondary fuel filter as the one that comes with the kit is too long. Cat part # is 7E-9763

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not having the injectors synchronized will give a power loss, and is part of a 3116 tune up. If you have the tools & patience, you can do it yourself. Most just let a Cat dealer do it. They can also adjust the fuel a smidge when they're in there. Some free power cant hurt. Cat dealers usually stay conservative on fuel settings. They'll sync the injectors, set the valves, and adjust the fuel screw. Out comes a happy kitty.
If you're feeling froggy, I have the CAT 3116 tooling kit (NOS) to sync, set and adjust/tune the top end. Comes w/ the manual and training video. (VHS). Not to difficult for the mechanically inclined. PM me if your interested. I'll have to dig them up.

Last edited:

scottmandu

Check the throttle cable. The three M1078's I've had all had the cable off by about 1/4-1/2 inch preventing full throttle. To adjust back off the nuts holding the cable to the bracket. Then pull the cable taught against the governor arm. Tighten the two nut to keep the cable in that position. Makes sure the governor arm is still against the idle screw. You would be surprised how much extra oomph is there when you have full throttle. As far as a "Tune" up the 3116 is fairly maintenance free regarding the fuel system. You can replace the fuel filter and check for leaks, unless your truck has tons of miles I wouldn't see the need for injector replacement or adjustment.

Lmtv772

Banned
Check the throttle cable. The three M1078's I've had all had the cable off by about 1/4-1/2 inch preventing full throttle. To adjust back off the nuts holding the cable to the bracket. Then pull the cable taught against the governor arm. Tighten the two nut to keep the cable in that position. Makes sure the governor arm is still against the idle screw. You would be surprised how much extra oomph is there when you have full throttle. As far as a "Tune" up the 3116 is fairly maintenance free regarding the fuel system. You can replace the fuel filter and check for leaks, unless your truck has tons of miles I wouldn't see the need for injector replacement or adjustment.
Not quite sure I am able to follow your procedure, do you mean take the slack out of the throttle cable?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're feeling froggy, I have the CAT 3116 tooling kit (NOS) to sync, set and adjust/tune the top end. Comes w/ the manual and training video. (VHS). Not to difficult for the mechanically inclined. PM me if your interested. I'll have to dig them up.
To ALL that inquired about the kits I "had"; after searching the tool crib and storage I remember selling all the surplus kits to a tooling middleman. I contacted him today and he moved them very quickly. He stated that they all went to auto/diesel shops and the such. The NSN was 5180 01 433 5174, manufacture by the Meyer Tool Inc, Cinn. OH. Sorry fellas, my mind is not the steel trap it use to be....

scottmandu

While you're in there, you can back out the throttle stop to make sure you get full available power and rpm.
Just a note, the throttle stop screw adjusts max RPM.. I've always been a bit nervous doing this, if you want more fuel but keep the same rpm limit the rack needs to be adjusted.

Overdrive

If you have an older LMTV and you bought the filter kit of off evil bay and paid ~ $44. Make sure to buy a different secondary fuel filter as the one that comes with the kit is too long. Cat part # is 7E-9763
Assuming that is the correct fuel filter quoted : Cat part # is 7E-9763? I got the eBay kit and was just getting ready to do the fuel filters. thanks for the heads up.

Duckworthe

So I finally did check and adjust my throttle cable. It wasn't getting full throttle. Now it is, yes a world of a difference! No longer pushing my foot through the floor! LOL

larsenap

To ALL that inquired about the kits I "had"; after searching the tool crib and storage I remember selling all the surplus kits to a tooling middleman. I contacted him today and he moved them very quickly. He stated that they all went to auto/diesel shops and the such. The NSN was 5180 01 433 5174, manufacture by the Meyer Tool Inc, Cinn. OH. Sorry fellas, my mind is not the steel trap it use to be....
You don't happen to have any other NSN's for the tune up kit do you? I tried looking up the NSN you quoted and it returned no results.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks