• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cat 3406 B

dslucas

After talking with my Dad over the holidays, he has an '82 Freightliner conventional with a 3406B cat engine and I believe a 13 speed fuller? You'll have to forgive me....I don't know that much about bigger truck diesel engines or trannies. So this truck is sitting out at my Grandpa's not being used and can be had very reasonably. As I am rather fond of my spicer....would not really want to worry about using that 13 speed tranny unless I had to, but maybe just the cat for a re-power in the future. I know alot of you are not "Cat" fans but the motor is relatively easy and cheap to obtain and He seems to like it. How does this compare with my stock LDT hp and torque wise, and could it be reasonably used as a re-power in my deuce? Would it bolt up to the spicer or need some type of bell housing adapter? LIke I said....I haven't really done a repower like this (just gas engines in cars) and I know next to nothing about the comparative differences between the two motors other than the cat is bigger and yellow. Fabrication within reason is not an issue as I can cut/weld etc.

dslucas

Yeah....a sounds like it would be ridiculous. The entire **** truck only weighs 13k. I was just looking at it from a cost perspective. I can get the entire truck alot cheaper than I can get a reman LDT465. DIdn't look up the specs. If I had a 5 ton I would consider it.

dslucas

yeah....I may pick up a bigger truck...but would be in addition to not instead of the deuce.....the odds of me parting ways with it are not very good. Was looking at the 900 series before I bought the duece, and the 923 I looked at was cheaper....but the looks of the classic Deuce and manual tranny sold me. Maybe an 800 series would be a better fit.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Think of it from the comfort angle.

I've had a deuce and M818. Looking back, I would have liked to have kept the deuce, but for big trucks, I currently have a M929 (dump truck, because every little boy wants one) and M915A1 because it has AC and an air ride seat (comfort, and I want to get a trailer so RAYZER can build the TAJ-2). But to go to rallys I have a M1028A2 With a S250 shelter outfitted to camp.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd pick the Cat engine up anyway. A good running 3406B will bring quite a bit of money.

I'd be interested if the price is right because I'm running two civilian trucks with that engine and am always needing parts.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I love Splatterpiller engines. I once drove a cab over Freightliner with the 3406B in it and it was a pulling motor scooter. The only issue I have with Cats is they will keep you in the poorhouse for parts and repair, especially if you take them to the Cathouse (dealer) to get them repaired. If you are an old school Kittykat mechanic then they are somewhat cheaper to keep. If you could get that Cat engine and tranmission into a 800 series wrecker you would have something.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks