• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Catastrophic parking brake failure

dave wagner

While driving to work the other day in my m135 about 8 miles into the drive going around 45mph. A massive bang I immediately let off the throttle and looked in the mirror to see something sliding on the road and going in the ditch. My first thought was a tire blew out. When I stepped on the brakes they were gone. Looked at the air guage zero. Next idea one of the air tanks exploded. Pulled up the parking brake lever next. Lever pulls all the way up with no resistance. Luckily I was going up a small hill in the predawn no traffic road so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Looked under the truck with my cellphone light wow! The parking brake drum blew up ripped off the brake lining and mounts, tore out some air lines. After I got the truck back home and surveyed the damage it looked like I could repair all the damage with my parts truck. These pictures are of the parts I found in the ditch and the drum off the donor truck. After inspecting my other m135 very closely it has some hair line cracks to. I found new parts so I don't need parts, just don't want anyone else to have a similar experience.

Attachments

gunboy1656

How much drivers seat is left? Had to be a real eye opener first thing in the morning.

Glad you found a good set of parts, check over the rest of the system real good.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brake failure

Thanks for posting this Dave. You know you're going to take a beating for not catching this with a pre-trip inspection and I appreciate the education without injury. We all learn from these incidents and fortunately are ultimately responsible for preventing them. I will re-inspect my Park brake today as will a lot of other folks, thanks to you.

It's not a component one would expect to detonate. Then again, it never is.

This will help drive the need for additional inspection time spent on old steel, I hope.

Insert guy eating Popcorn.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My next stop would have been to a quarter wash to spray out the chit all over my seat from the BANG.

dave wagner

About missing the crack in the drum. Just got around to fixing this. It happened last fall thats why the peices are rusty. When it broke the peices I found were new brakes. The donor truck drum was an easy catch from over 20 foot away. My other M135 was not that easy, I wire wheeled off the surface rust and had to look very close to see a small crack. What I think started these cracks was someone leaving the parking brake on for a long time while driving.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That drum is spinning pretty quick, especially on the m35a2's with the overdrive. Wouldn't take much for one to go boom if it was cracked. I've looked at the drums on the trucks, but never thought to look for a crack. Really bad luck for it to have take out the service brakes too.

Just figured it up, on my truck with the custom .71 overdrive, it's spinning 3500rpm at 2500rpm engine, in 5th gear.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back in steam days flywheel failures were known to kill many and destroy whole boiler rooms at factories. Lots of potential energy stored up in a rotating mass.

I never thought to check the drum for cracks either- it will become another check box on the list.

butch atkins

Need to tell this.SIS (self inflicted stupidity).I let my M211 parking brake get kind of loose,would still hold but you had to jerk the s#@% out of the E-brake handle to get it to stay up .The parking brake will not hold the truck under power when driving it.Dont know about M35 brake ,but there are 2 cams that actuate the parking brake band ,I let mine get out of adjustment and the cams stuck the parking brake band to the drum.They were jammed and didnt release.I had a hot date waiting to go" trail riding",jumped in truck,fired it up headed out to a sure thing .About 1 mile from the house ,came to a stop sign and the most awful smell came from the truck."OOH OOOH THAT SMELL,CANT YOU SMELL THAT SMELL".Knew instantly what it was.Had to drive back home ,wait for E-Brake band to cool off enough to adjust it to the proper clearance,took alot of adj cause it wore a lot of the lining off.Got lucky didnt have disaster like yours.MORAL OF THE STORY. MAKE SURE YOU ADJUST THAT PARKING BRAKE LINKAGE EXACTLY AS TM9-8024 SAYS TO.IF IT TAKES MORE THAN 3 CLICKS ON THE PARKING BRAKE HANDLE .YOU NEED TO LOOK AT IT. And yes i got lucky twice that night. LOL.good luck to all on your projects

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M35A2 Parking brake drum is not cast.

Gunfreak25

Remember guy's, these trucks are aging. I will be inspecting mine with a fine tooth comb, thanks for posting.

I also ran across a post awhile back where a guy had the steering gear shaft on his M211 break clean off during normal daytime driving. BOOM. Zero steering. He was very lucky to have both the truck and himself unharmed.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That drum exploded from the extreme heat generated by leaving the E-brake on while driving. I once rebuilt/re-lined the emergency brake in my M37, adjusted by the book etc. My wife jumped in it and took off for the store, or something. Same exact thing. She left the brake on - about 45 MPH. It exploded: first the smell, then smoke, then the noise......... and finally the OH Sh..........

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now just think of all the PM work it's gonna take to get the seat foam cushion material out of your a s s. You'll be crapping canvas for weeks. rofl

Sounds like a pretty high pucker factor! Lucky you didn't pinch a hole in the driver's seat upholstery! Glad you and the truck are ok and no one got hurt! A flung chunk of cast iron from that drum could make a really expensive dent in a Mercedes! I think I'll be adding a detailed parking break inspection to the TTD list on my deuce! :mrgreen:

butch atkins

Maybe time to look for a good used one.Kind of hard to get 2 bad NOS parts .Are you doing something you shouldnt be ?best friends wife,robbing banks,stealing social security checks from mailboxes?Just kidding,that is some kind of bad luck.Be thankful you didnt injure yourself or someone else.Good luck on your project

Gunfreak25

Jesus, I am going to get mine magnafluxed while I have the D-shafts out. I reccomend everyone else do the same. Not cool.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks