• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Caterpillar Mechanical Unit Injector tooling

labrewski

Is there a used set of (CAT 223-2254) Mechanical Unit Injector tools out there available for purchase at a reasonable price? $2,300 for a used set was the minimum I could find. Received a few estimates from some Cat mechanics in West Texas and figured for that price I would just buy the tooling necessary to adjust the fuel rack myself and help others in the future. Currently in Big Bend/South Brewster county.

Also looking for the 290 HP versions of the fuel gov and turbo.

Thanks to fuzzytoaster for the M977 crane and M1082 trailer. And Jones for a flippin archive of information on the M977. Crane is stationary for now but I have a PTO from Florida Bryce and a hydraulic pump on order. As well as another small fortune in hydraulic lines/fittings/tank to come.

Thank you

Attachments

Last edited:

labrewski

$125 - $150 an hr at a 12 hour minimum not including drive time from Midland-Odessa, possible parts/injector testing/cleaning. That’s if no major hang-ups or surprises.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
$125 - $150 an hr at a 12 hour minimum not including drive time from Midland-Odessa, possible parts/injector testing/cleaning. That’s if no major hang-ups or surprises.
That's about what I was running into too, when I looked into it. Some people have said they easily found places that did it for a few hundred dollars, so I've been hoping I was just looking in the wrong places (but haven't gotten around to doing more searching).

coachgeo

can't support this yet with personal experience.......but have read that you really do NOT need all the things in the kit. Kit was designed to do it fast... be quick in the shop so mechanic can get it done and get the truck out of there..... and on to the next money making project.

several old things are on the net that explain the procedure w/out most the tools. Im trying between all the stuff I do to combine them into a pdf. If anyone knows someone that speaks Algerian (think that is it) there is some potentially good videos on youtube that if interpreted could be beneficial as well.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Is this the whole thing for $1000 (CAT 223-2254) Mechanical Unit Injector tools
I don't need another article 15 in SS but I seen the whole rebuilt unit for $1000 on eBay

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this the whole thing for $1000 (CAT 223-2254) Mechanical Unit Injector tools
The injectors on the 3116 engines in A0 trucks are mechanical. They have a complex rack system to actuate the injectors, that needs to be carefully set up and calibrated. There is a tool set that facilitates that calibration procedure, or at least makes it easier, and it's expensive.

Reworked LMTV

Is there a used set of (CAT 223-2254) Mechanical Unit Injector tools out there available for purchase at a reasonable price? $2,300 for a used set was the minimum I could find. Received a few estimates from some Cat mechanics in West Texas and figured for that price I would just buy the tooling necessary to adjust the fuel rack myself and help others in the future. Currently in Big Bend/South Brewster county.

Thanks to fuzzytoaster for the M977 crane and M1082 trailer. And Jones for a flippin archive of information on the M977. Crane is stationary for now but I have a PTO from Florida Bryce and a hydraulic pump on order. As well as another small fortune in hydraulic lines/fittings/tank to come.

Thank you
Are you saying you need a tool to pull the injectors on a 3116? Or do need a puller plus the rack adjustment tools? Some people make their own tools to save money.

Last edited:

coachgeo

yup.. that is one of them Im pulling info out of for PDF doc.... since that site is old.... and links to the videos that go with it are now dead.. figured it be smart to reserve it now before it becomes no longer available.

Reworked LMTV

Thank you
Is that a working crane attached to that M1082? (y)

Ronmar

yup.. that is one of them Im pulling info out of for PDF doc.... since that site is old.... and links to the videos that go with it are now dead.. figured it be smart to reserve it now before it becomes no longer available.
And for the particular procedure in this article(injector height/timing), a vernier caliper will also work, It is an absolute measurement from injector base to the top of the injector with the cam at a particular position. I don’t think the actual cat tool even makes this particular job any faster as it is such a simple measurement and you have to setup/zero the cat tool...

1. Rotate crank/alighn camshaft as specified in the procedure, and identify the 3 injectors to be checked/adjusted.
2. Confirm the caliper display reads zero when depth probe is flush/even with the end of the caliper ruler. One one of the specified injectors. Open caliper/extend probe till it rests on the injector base and the end of the ruler rests on top of the injector. Read injector height on dial/display.
3. If adjustment is necessary, loosen locknut on injector rocker and rotate adjuster to achieve specified injector height And re-tighten locknut. re-confirm correct injector height Has not changed.
4. Complete steps 2&3 on the other 2 injectors identified in step 1.
5. Rotate crankshaft/align camshaft to next specified position and identify the remaining 3 injectors to be checked.
Repeate steps 2&3 on these injectors...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks