• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Caution buying wilson alts from napa

dunedigger

Just wanted to sum up the problems I have been going through for the last 4 or 5 months. I finally have a working alternator system.

When I first drove my M1009 home the front battery died and I decided to buy alts from Napa and replace both with lifetime parts. I caught the truck on fire at the junction block by the master cylinder. Thinking I hooked up the two wires backwards I swapped them on the pass alt and caught the Tap block by the heater on fire. On my search is when I found this site and all the help, manuals etc and realized I was hooking them up right and that my isolated alts were in fact not isolated.

I ordered a new set, they showed up not isolated, this is an easy check from the studs to the case as they shound not have continuity.

I then could not get an answer from Napa other than Wilson said I'm not hooking them up right. I was certain I was.

I got ahold of Wilson's number and spent a lot of hours on the phone and finally they took 5 of them to a rebuilder and he verified I was right and fixed them. I got two of them that were isolated and one did not charge. So to temp run the truck I put one of the non isolated alts on the driver side to get it running. That alternator made my alt 1 light come on dim and my front battery would die.

So I got a replacement alt ordered and after 5 alts I finally got a isolated alt. Meanwhile back and fourth on the phone with wilson I tried to explain how important this was becasue they are selling them that are wrong and going to burn up other peoples trucks.

I ended up putting the good alt on the drivers side and the new unkown on the pass side. The alt two light came on. It seemed to kind of charge the battery but I wasn't quite sure where my gauge was supose to read but seemed on the low side. I ordered another alt and they tried to tell me something was burnt up in my wiring. I verified it wasn't and spent more time on the phone with several people. They finally had the new batch in from the factory that had corrected the iso problem and the next four that came in were not isolated. Back on the phone they discovered that the correction was worse than before. They had a small screw running throught the case and touhing the iso stud. They had to send all of their stock to the rebuilder.

I finally today got my new alt and it actually works, both lights are off and the gauge came way up.

Sorry for the novel but I have shown more patience with these people than any one in my life and I have a ton of man hours into changing alts and running to the parts store. The cost makes me sick but I have been determined to make this company figure this out so this does not happen to someone else.

That being said, I strongly suggest that you do not ever buy an isolated ground alternator from a Napa store and if you do , check it with a meter before you hook up the batteries. Thanks, digger.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks