• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Caution regarding Walbro electric fuel pumps

kapnklug

I've been running a Walbro FRB-22 (similar to FRB-5) electric fuel pump for 3 years now. In general I'm happy with it (self-priming, biodiesel compatible, pumps only on demand, built-in cleanable pre-filter). But for anyone thinking of getting one, they do have one major design flaw:
The pump mounts vertically, with the fuel flowing into a fuel bowl/prefilter housing on the bottom and pumping out the top. Between the fuel bowl and the pump body is a large-diameter but very thin floppy O-ring that is very difficult to re-install correctly. It always seems to slip slightly out of place, and sometimes gets fatally pinched in the process. In either case, the result is an air leak into the fuel line, ranging from minor rough-running to no fuel at all getting to the engine. I've wasted so much time troubleshooting the rest of the fuel system ('cause it can't be that NEW fuel pump, right???) only to find it's that **** O-ring AGAIN! I'm on my third O-ring in 3 years, and it's a weird one you can only get from the company. Once you get it in there correctly it works fine, until next time you have to remove that fuel bowl. Then the nightmare begins anew.
Just a heads up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks