• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cb question

REDWOLF

I have a new cobra 29LDT Army cb in my M1009 with a K40 truckers antana. The antani is mounted to the side of the blazer where the antani mounts go with a bracket that i made up. My question is my antana light comes on only when i key up the mic and talk it does not come on if i just key up the mic. When i check the swr's with the cb it shows me being good. Why does it come on when i talk and not when i just key up? I also have a brand new gold colorer braided cable for the antana hooked up.

Troll1216

Sounds like a potential grounding/line noise issue.

I would first look at where the ground for the 12v radio is. Ground it to the battery not the frame, the same for the hot wire. I run all of my radios to the battery if possible.

I think your issue is a interference issue, this might clear it up. If it does not, Try removing the antenna from the vehicle so that the two are not in contact. Transmit and see if that fixes the problem. If it does insulate the antenna to frame mounts, mount to the fiberglass, or try a different antenna.

My dad used a K5 blazer as a patrol truck for years with several 100w VHF radios, a CB, Bag phone (remember those) and scanner and PacRT radio, no RFI because everything was run to a special wiring block that ran directly to the battery terminals.

Hope this helps.

If not send me a PM and I will check with my contacts who are engineers for radio systems.

beachbummer

same

I had the same problem with a ford bronco (similar vehicles) I was loosing 80 watts with the antenna mounted on the mirror bracket. I got a through the roof antenna mounting bracket and that solved the problem, plus i was then dead keying 180 watts. when you move the antenna on top of the truck you will also lower your swr.

REDWOLF

The bad ground is probly what it is on the radio itself. Had to switch to my back up power cord that plugs in to the lighter socket i installed in the truck do to the heat of the sun melting my fuse holder on the hardwire plug that comes with the new cobra cb's. I wish they would use a blade type fuse instead of the old glass type, but i guess because it is such a low watt fuse they due not make a blade one.

p.s. My swrs are in the 1 range or lower on bothe channel 40 and 1.

beachbummer

swr

p.s. My swrs are in the 1 range or lower on bothe channel 40 and 1.[/QUOTE]

If that is by the radio swr meter dont trust it. My 29 has 120 channels, and the swp meter is not accurate close but not close enough when running power. get a stand alone swr meter to be sure, or better yet get you ham license and you will be opened up to a whole new world of radio. A world that can use your laptop, and many many different modes to run in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks