• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CB radio in a deuce?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone here ever put a CB radio in their deuce? Can other listeners hear you over the sound of the engine? Is there a noise-quieting CB radio out there that can filter out a lot of the background noise?

70deuce

I have one I use in all my trucks that is run off a 2 prong trailer type plug wire harness hooked to one battery. I use an aircraft type headset with the hand mike from the CB and the setup works good. Low power draw from the CB does not affect the battery charging at all.

Akicita

Maddawg,
I think the greater issue will be whether or not you can understand other drivers over the noise of the Deuce. There are CB shops near many major truck stops along the interstates. When I approach a Flying J (my preferred truck stop) in my bus, I often hear someone get on telling everyone within CB earshot where the CB shop is located and which channel to turn to to get advice. I don't remember if there is one near the Flying J outside of Winchester just a few miles below VA/WV state line.

Then you have to figure out how to keep your CB radio. I have driven through Front Royal many times on my way to Skyline Drive but I have never lived there. Maybe crime isn't as big a problem there as it is where I live. I'm near Philadelphia, PA and have to consider the possibility that someone is going to steal what can be taken out of the truck quickly and easily.

There are also several hand-held CB radios on the market. You get all 40 channels plus weather but they have a very limited range compared to the one's you install in the truck.

The guys at the CB Shop can advise you on which radio and which mic to choose. By the way, the F. J sometimes sells used and refurbished radios. I don't know if they offer good deals. I just see the radios in the store. You may want to check out what they have whenever you're ready to buy.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keeping foam earplugs in your ears when driving a deuce (or any loud M-V), allows me to hear the radio(s) much easier. This was something that I did for the entire 13 months I drove 915A1s in Iraq. The earplugs made all the difference in the world. And, the 915 was just about as loud as the deuce.

Foamies cut down the noise "edges," but radio is still there, and clear. You'll have to turn the volume up on the set, but you'll see what I'm talking about. For me, the earplugs even allow conversation in the cab between driver and passenger to be more clear. You'll be yelling, but who cares.

Now, if you have to fire your M16 from the cab, you won't bust your eardrums that way either. Oh, wait a minute. Uh... You won't be doing that. Will you??? ;-)