• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CB radio in M1028 install

Corvette1974

Hello.

I want to install a CB radio into my 1986 M1028. I already have the radio, ordered the antenna. It is a Regency Cr-186 radio (got it at a tractor show it seems to work) and a brand new Wilson 500 magnetic base antenna.

This truck was owned by a fire company as a brush truck, and at some point it had a cb radio or the like installed. There are mount holes already drilled under the dash for the bracket and the wiring harness is still there!.

I'm planning on using those holes and the harness that is there to do the install. Is it ok to take power (12V) from the fuse box? That is where the harness is run to...

Also, are there any good places to run the antenna cable through without drilling holes? I want to limit my hole drilling cause the truck is real nice. Except one area.....haha I might just run the cable through the small rust hole in the rocker panel. :grd: It would work.....

I was going to put the antenna on the front left corner of the bed on the bed rail. Is this a good spot for it?

let me know what you guys think!

Thanks,
Will

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should run your fuse protected power feed directly to the front battery. This way you get the maximum wattage to your radio. You can also use a relay that is energized by the ignition terminal of the fuse block, so that your radio is not on all of the time.
Best place for the antenna is probably on the cab roof but mounted on the bed may give you similar performance. Best way to check is with a meter.

You could run the coax through the transfer case shifter opening. Just don't pinch it and be sure to secure it to the body underside and the frame to keep if from catching on stumps, small animals and children, and Volkswagens.

Corvette1974

You should run your fuse protected power feed directly to the front battery. This way you get the maximum wattage to your radio. You can also use a relay that is energized by the ignition terminal of the fuse block, so that your radio is not on all of the time.
Best place for the antenna is probably on the cab roof but mounted on the bed may give you similar performance. Best way to check is with a meter.

You could run the coax through the transfer case shifter opening. Just don't pinch it and be sure to secure it to the body underside and the frame to keep if from catching on stumps, small animals and children, and Volkswagens.

Hm good Idea with the relay...I'll do that. I have an SWR and of course will tune the antenna. We'll see how that comes out.

I kinda forgot about the transfer case shifter....That sounds pretty solid. I'll check that out. Im at school now but when I got home i'll get into it and see what I'm working with.

Thanks,
Will

Danger Ranger

I may be worried about the magnetic antenna sliding off the bedrail. Might try the roof, or make a platform for it. Also seen on the hood near or across from your other antenna.

MarcusOReallyus

Corvette, I used to install radios for a living - business radios. Now I'm an engineer in a similar business.

319 is right on the money - never get power from the fuse box for a radio. Too many things to go wrong, too many places to lose voltage.

Remember than an SWR meter will tell you about reflected power, and that's important, but it won't tell you anything about the pattern of your antenna. A bed rail installation can be tuned to a low SWR, and still be very directional. That's an installation of last resort.

Corvette1974

I may be worried about the magnetic antenna sliding off the bedrail. Might try the roof, or make a platform for it. Also seen on the hood near or across from your other antenna.
Corvette, I used to install radios for a living - business radios. Now I'm an engineer in a similar business.

319 is right on the money - never get power from the fuse box for a radio. Too many things to go wrong, too many places to lose voltage.

Remember than an SWR meter will tell you about reflected power, and that's important, but it won't tell you anything about the pattern of your antenna. A bed rail installation can be tuned to a low SWR, and still be very directional. That's an installation of last resort.

Hmm Maybe I'll mount it on the front like kind of where a stock radio antenna would be. Would that be better?

And I'll definitely run it to the battery. You dont think I'll have any problems with better drain or anything?

Will

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1028A2 had an antenna cable run through the firewall. There IS a rubber grommet that it went through that some other cable goes through (speedo I think).

And the antenna was mounted on the front of the truck with an L shaped bracket that stuck up on the side of the hood without interfering with opening and closing the hood. I removed it all because I didn't want a radio.

Just a thought as to where mine was when I picked it up off of Ft Drum, NY base.

steelandcanvas

The other responses are spot on, but I have a few suggestions. Why not try and find the hole the previous owner ran their cable through? Roof mounting the antenna should give you the best RF radiation pattern. Also run your negative from the transceiver to the battery also, don't use a chassis ground.

Corvette1974

My M1028A2 had an antenna cable run through the firewall. There IS a rubber grommet that it went through that some other cable goes through (speedo I think).

And the antenna was mounted on the front of the truck with an L shaped bracket that stuck up on the side of the hood without interfering with opening and closing the hood. I removed it all because I didn't want a radio.

Just a thought as to where mine was when I picked it up off of Ft Drum, NY base.

The other responses are spot on, but I have a few suggestions. Why not try and find the hole the previous owner ran their cable through? Roof mounting the antenna should give you the best RF radiation pattern. Also run your negative from the transceiver to the battery also, don't use a chassis ground.

Alright straight to battery it is. And I'll try to find the hole....haha now that I think about it I might know where it is! Like I said I'm at school so I cant check now. But youre right, It all depends on the functionality (I have trees and stuff to drive under) as to where I mount the antenna. I'm mainly gonna be using it to communicate between my friends and I's truck when we convoy to off road and stuff but I'm all about maximum performance and efficiency.

Thanks,
Will

M813A1

If you are interested in keeping the military look for your truck ?? Consider getting the AB-15 antenna base and use one each sections MS-118, MS-117, and MS-116 antenna setions. Trim the tip of the MS-116 section to get an overall length of 110 inches to include the the antenna base and that will work well to keep the SWR right with your CB and keep the military looks of your truck . You can get all of the pieces from Egayt for less then a $75 bucks and set it up !!

Last edited:

Corvette1974

If you are interested in keeping the military look for your truck ?? Consider getting the AB-15 antenna base and use one each sections MS-118, MS-117, and MS-116 antenna setions. Trim the tip of the MS-116 section to get an overall length of 110 inches to include the the antenna base and that will work well to keep the SWR right with your CB and keep the military looks of your truck .

Hmm see I am trying to keep it military. But for now the magnet base will work. Maybe when I repaint her back to CARC Tan I'll look into that.

Thanks for the interesting idea.

Will

Corvette1974

Alright so I got the Wilson 500 antenna for her. I cleaned up the radio I got and it powers on, but havent tested it with the antenna yet. I'll get to the install this weekend so I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Will

MarcusOReallyus

It's even more fun when you key the mic while holding the antenna.

Damage may occur! rofl

Corvette, I scoped out that Wilson 500. Looks like good stuff. :beer:

Still, mounted on a fender or bed rail it's going to be unpredictably directional, so don't expect miracles.

Corvette1974

Alright. Cb radio installed and perfect. I used a relay to do the job - Wired it real nice with conduit and proper connectors and zip tieing it off. It is like a factory job. I had to cut about 2 inches out of the antenna to set the SWR but shes all good now, transmissing and receiveing at plus 10 miles. The antenna is mounted on the cab roof. I'll post pictures up tomorrow.

Will

TVOLLMER

I ran my coax through the speedo cable grommet. I was told by my local radio store that the best place for any cb antenna on a pickup is the driver side front fender mount. He said something about having a minimum of 18' of coax as well. The 48" fire stick antenna are cheap and seem to work well and flex just fine under most conditions. I was also told that the "extra" should be laid out in equal loops parallel to a metal surface(like the hood in my case) to maximize your "parralel plane". he could be blowing smoke. not sure.

Danger Ranger

I ran my coax through the speedo cable grommet. I was told by my local radio store that the best place for any cb antenna on a pickup is the driver side front fender mount. He said something about having a minimum of 18' of coax as well. The 48" fire stick antenna are cheap and seem to work well and flex just fine under most conditions. I was also told that the "extra" should be laid out in equal loops parallel to a metal surface(like the hood in my case) to maximize your "parallel plane". he could be blowing smoke. not sure.
He is, to an extent. If you are running an antenna that needs no ground plane, he is partially correct in that front fender being a good spot. But a cab roof is better when you need a ground plane. Also, the 18' of coax is true, as are the loops of cable slack. This is done for more reception (if in the right location), and to prevent interference from electro-magnetic currents.

Corvette1974

He is, to an extent. If you are running an antenna that needs no ground plane, he is partially correct in that front fender being a good spot. But a cab roof is better when you need a ground plane. Also, the 18' of coax is true, as are the loops of cable slack. This is done for more reception (if in the right location), and to prevent interference from electro-magnetic currents.
I ran my coax through the speedo cable grommet. I was told by my local radio store that the best place for any cb antenna on a pickup is the driver side front fender mount. He said something about having a minimum of 18' of coax as well. The 48" fire stick antenna are cheap and seem to work well and flex just fine under most conditions. I was also told that the "extra" should be laid out in equal loops parallel to a metal surface(like the hood in my case) to maximize your "parralel plane". he could be blowing smoke. not sure.
Yep. This is a serious offense. Flogging is in order.

nopics
Tease! Don't let this happen again...

Hahaha dang I completely forgot to take them. You guys are gonna have to wait till Saturday! [thumbzup]

And I mounted it on the cab roof because it would be most secure (most magnet surface area) and because of the most ground plane. Also nothing to interfere and reflect the signal (SWR).

I have this for you to tide you over - CB isnt installed yet the antenna is just in the bed. This is our pines trip.

Will

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks