• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cb radio install need some ideas

jdeoliveira74

By the way I am new to cb so what would be the best antenna for distance and clarity looking to go with a whip antenna on military mounts for sure any suggestions was looking at a cb from radioshack for 159 i believe it was a cobra.

TCUCV

Hey jd...74, I just moved from Wilmington to Greenville. I've only seen a few M1008's and '09's running around town.

If I were to put a CB in my M1008 I would probably go with dueceaid and put it over the rear view mirror.

sierrajcharlie

OK, I've searched and haven't found the answer. Does anyone know what kind of gap, if any, between the roof and the headliner in an oh9? Would really rather put my radio up there but don't want to put a screw in and then see it sticking out the top. Thanks and sorry if I've missed the answer somewhere!!

jdeoliveira74

Hey jd...74, I just moved from Wilmington to Greenville. I've only seen a few M1008's and '09's running around town.

If I were to put a CB in my M1008 I would probably go with dueceaid and put it over the rear view mirror.
my radio is there so I need to find another location. lmc overhead console is up there

jdeoliveira74

OK, I've searched and haven't found the answer. Does anyone know what kind of gap, if any, between the roof and the headliner in an oh9? Would really rather put my radio up there but don't want to put a screw in and then see it sticking out the top. Thanks and sorry if I've missed the answer somewhere!!
You have about 1" between the inside and out side.

sierrajcharlie

Thanks for the answer! How did you fasten your console? Had planned on installing it over the weekend but that also gave me more time to think. Instead of doing that ended up cutting wood and drinking beer!:beer: Not productive for me but buddy now has enough wood for the next two winters!

deuceaid

Banned
On my 4runner, I built a frame out of 1/4" square steel tube, bent it to match the curve between the liner and roof , and tapered the ends down and screewed into the sheetmetal just behind headliner, I also welded 4 small bolts/screws to the frame that poked out thru the headliner............

THEN I disassembled my CB , and mounted the top panel flush to the headliner, then reassembled the CB back onto the top that was mounted on the ceiling. ( Be Careful- I MADE SURE the bolts wouldnt short out any of the CB`s circuits! )

Sorry I dont have pics, but I dont want to pull apart my truck, and I dont have a radio in that one anymore:(

Just to tell You how crazy I am,,,, I also got a dome light out of a Ford Explorer and cut it into the bottom of the CB ( I like good lighting and the fish eye swivel lights), I modify EVERYTHING!!!!!

Last edited:

HikerMan

What would the easiest way to mount a 4 foot firestick vs a 102 whip on a CUCV? I don't know much about CBs...

What would be the performance/range distance between the two antennas?

Hightechken

The best performance would be with the 102" whip mounted in the center of the roof. Of course that is very impractical as the antenna would be far to tall to fit in any type of drive through etc. Not to mention how it would whip about.

Most 102" whips are usually mounted real low on the rear of the vehicle, Lots are mounted right to a rear bumper.
Even though the steel body will slightly detune the whip a little bit, Such an installation almost always outperforms shorter fiberglass type antennas.

Hightechken

I would mount a shorter Firestick type antenna right where the original military antennas were mounted, High on the back part of the truck.

In most all cases, The longer 102" whip will outperfrom the shorter antenna by a wide margin.

deuceaid

Banned
What would the easiest way to mount a 4 foot firestick vs a 102 whip on a CUCV? I don't know much about CBs...

What would be the performance/range distance between the two antennas?
The whip is gonna need a strong mount , since its going to hit stuff alot more than the fire stick ( taller) , something like a good solid bumper mount. If you mount the fire stick high and it hits, your gonna need a strong mount to, and maybe a spring on it so You dont break the fiberglass or the mount.

as far as signal 2 things....

First, placement on the vehicle. if the antenna is mounted in the center of the vehicle, it will give a somewhat even range in all directions for the most part. If the antenna is moved to the rear of car, it will tend to get more range towards the front of car, and vice versa (left and right too). The metal body of the car helps radiate the power from the antenna in that direction (non metalic things like fiberglass camper shells dont count)

Second, a coiled antenna firestick) might have a 1.5 db gain (decibels), where as a 1/4 wave whip might have 3 - 3.5 db gain (this is a rough guess , look on the package of the antenna for an ideaof db`s ). The rule of thumb is that for every 3 db gain that You have, it roughly doubles the range of the antenna.

The ham motto----- a radio is only as good as its antenna,
Hope it helps

Last edited:

midcounty

I mounted a 102" whip on my stock M1009 off the original bracket. I welded a plate on the bracket where the hole is for the military antenna, then attached the mounting ball to it. I do hit things with it, and it has held up fine. I am rather new to the CB world, so am still learning. I run a Galaxy 95T, and so far it seems to well. I have read that the 102 is inteaded to be used with a 6" spring, so will add one soon and see if it improves my signal any.

deuceaid

Banned
I have read that the 102 is inteaded to be used with a 6" spring, so will add one soon and see if it improves my signal any.
It may not be real noticeable, the only way to really see how well "tuned" the antenna is is to use an SWR ( standing wave ratio) meter on it at the frequency ( channel) Your using... You want anything from 1.1 to 1 up to 1.5 to 1,,,otherwise the antenna isnt converting all the radio power, and it is just feeding the power back down to the radio electronics..

HikerMan

jdeoliveira74

all the accessorys inside the truck are 12v
you should have a few spots in the fuse box to run power from

deuceaid

Banned
Yeah, the power I was speaking of is radio frequency power,carried from the radio thru the coax cable, to the antenna. for a "Legal" CB it is limited to 4 watts of power in AM mode (amplitude modulation)....

.....if the CB has SSB (single side band) , then it can be equal to about 14 watts, which will reach out further , but sacrifices sound quality ( it will sound like the X wing fighters in the star wars movie when they trying to blow up the death star)

pvtjorge

I was a Hammer back in the 70's, I moved and got disinterested and let my license lapse. Sold most of my stuff.
I did a lot on CW with contacts world wide. I was sec/treas of local club for awhile.

I got a new license in 09 . I don't have any radios presently. I can't make up my mind what to get.

deuceaid

Banned
I was a Hammer back in the 70's, I moved and got disinterested and let my license lapse. Sold most of my stuff.
I did a lot on CW with contacts world wide. I was sec/treas of local club for awhile.

I got a new license in 09 . I don't have any radios presently. I can't make up my mind what to get.
Well if Your looking for alot of traffic, then 2 meters is still the most popular band around, and least expensive to get into..... if its distance You want, then HF is the way,,(if Ya got a general ticket )