• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CB Tutorial

ssdvc

OK, in additional to all the other crap I am dealing with (life happens), I have to do some maintenance and make some body repairs (rust sucks) to my 1009. While she is apart, I was thinking of adding a CB radio. I want to use a military antenna setup and I have read several posts that deal about the subject.

That said, I am not a twigget and I know zero about radios. Is there, or could anyone make up, a picture laden tutorial depicting a typical CUCV CB install, using one of the mil spec antenna systems? I can't figure it out (I have been called thick by my wife:lol:) but I know there are radio guru's on this site and they could probably breeze through it with ease. Us less blessed folks struggle.

If this is a stupid suggestion, or not possible, please disregard.

Thank you.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have no points.

I think your the one that is soft skinned.

Keep it off the forums.

lostintexas

No, I think this is a great idea and I'm in the process of doing this right now on my M1009. Here's what I gathered and decided to do on my 1009:
Antenna base: AB-558/GR The nice thing with this base is the standard CB antenna cord screws right in. The kit is 5820-00-938-0247
Antenna sections: You need two of these sections: MS-116, 117 or 118 (long sections) and one of these AB-21, 22, 23 or 24 (short sections). This will get your length close for the CB range.
Antenna mount and brush guard: I'm using a NOS KIT 5820-01-200-0180

For the CB I'm using a cobra classic. I've not completed the install or checked my SWR (SWR tells you how good you have your antenna tuned, closer to 1:1 the better) Others with similar setups are claiming 1.3-1.5:1 which is really good to good. Under 2 is important.

This is as far as I've gotten on the project and will let you know how it goes. Hopefully work will slow down and I can get it finished up soon.

Flyingvan911

I don't know much about CUCV wiring myself. Can he wire it right to a battery without causing trouble?

For my vans I ran heavy wire from the battery to the inside of the vehicle and installed a fuse block just for my accessories. Powers the ham radio, 12 volt outlets, etc.

M813A1

Get on Ebay and get a AB-15 base and use 1 eachof the MS-116, MS -117, MS-118 antenna sections . Make sure that your overall antenna length is around 106" to 110" long and you will have a Good CB antenna with military parts . Make sure that you get the AB-15 with the antenna ground clamp with it . Make sure when you get the antenna that you do not tighten it to much because you can crack the ceramic base pieces

Last edited:

lostintexas

I don't know much about CUCV wiring myself. Can he wire it right to a battery without causing trouble?

For my vans I ran heavy wire from the battery to the inside of the vehicle and installed a fuse block just for my accessories. Powers the ham radio, 12 volt outlets, etc.
No, not if he's running the original 24v. If it has been converted to 12v then you could but why. Better to tie into the fuse block and use keyed power (power that is only on when the key is in accessories or run mode) This will prevent battery drain when you forget to turn the CB off. IMO never good to go direct to batteries.

lostintexas

Get on Ebay and get a AB-15 base and use 1 eachof the MS-116, MS -117, MS-118 antenna sections . Make sure that your overall antenna length is around 106" to 110" long and you will have a Good CB antenna with military parts . Make sure that you get the AB-15 with the antenna ground clamp with it . Make sure when you get the antenna that you do not tighten it to much because you can crack the ceramic base pieces
While the AB-15 base works great the AB-558 fits the CUCV antenna mount without having to fabricate a bracket to attach. It also looks better IMO.

ssdvc

Thanks All. lostintexas, I am eagerly waiting for more info and some pictures. Thanks for doing this. I will hunt down some of the antenna base (the AB-558) and whip pieces. Hopefully I can find them reasonably priced, as with everyone else, I'm on a budget.

Thanks !

cpf240

No, not if he's running the original 24v. If it has been converted to 12v then you could but why. Better to tie into the fuse block and use keyed power (power that is only on when the key is in accessories or run mode) This will prevent battery drain when you forget to turn the CB off. IMO never good to go direct to batteries.
Actually, you *can* run right off the *front* battery for a 12v CB, radio, whatever. Of course, it should be fused, etc. If you want to get really tricky, it is possible to run 12v off the rear battery, but I wouldn't recommend it.

lostintexas

Guys, I'm by no means an expert on this and will probably screw up a few parts as I go through this process. Most of my information has come from this site so I can't take credit for any of this. That being said I will try to document as I go through this.

Tonight I got the brush guard and antenna mount installed on the 1009 tonight. Here are a couple of pics. The antenna base and the antenna whip are just sitting there for show and that's tomorrow's project if I had daylight left when I get home.

Brush guard and antenna mount installed:

Antenna base and whip sitting there for show:

With 1x 116 section, 1x 117, and 1x 21 I came in at 96" short of the optimal 106-110" I started thinking uh-oh. Then I remembered the base, measured it and 12" Right in the sweet sport of 108" Not saying it will yield a good SWR but should be close.

Last edited:

lostintexas

Update:

Got the CB wired in and the antenna secured. Adjusted the antenna and to my surprise got the SWR much better than I had hoped for. On channel 20 I got SWR down to 1.3:1 which most consider good. However I hit a snag. I'm transmitting but cannot receive. It looks like it may be a radio issue with the internal receiver. My s-meter registers nothing even when the CB 10 feet away is keyed. Adjust squelch in both directions, turned off all noise filtering on the radio and check switches to make sure I wasn't in PA mode or something else dumb. I can hear the NOAA weather stations but my understanding it that is a completely different receiver. I'll swap some components in the next week or two and provide an update or if you have any suggestions always happy to hear ideas. So far I'm very pleased with the outcome.

lostintexas

Resolved, no, figured out what it is yes. The issue is definitely in the radio or mic. I hooked up a buddies radio and mic and I was able to send and receive. It was getting dark on us so we didn't have time to swap mics to see where the issue is but I don't think I'm stuck in transmit since my send light is on and we can hear others when I'm not keyed. I have another CB in storage I need to dig out and just swap. I also ordered an external speaker so I can hear over the rattle of the diesel.

ke5eua

Actually, you *can* run right off the *front* battery for a 12v CB, radio, whatever. Of course, it should be fused, etc. If you want to get really tricky, it is possible to run 12v off the rear battery, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Do not recommend running off rear battery. Did it by accident in my contact truck and ended up putting 24v into my ham radio via grounding from the antenna. Luckily I caught it in time and didn't mess it up to terribly bad.

Unless you run a completely ground isolated system, run it off the first battery or get a step down converter, just make sure your antenna ground to radio positive stays 12v or you will be buying a new radio.

AN/ARC186

For antennas I use the following:
AS-3900/VRC base
Whip A3018230-1
I disassembled the base, removed all internal components except the base BNC connector. I ran coax from the BNC connector up to the spring base connection point, connecting the inner conductor of the coax to the center pin of the spring base, keeping the coax as short as possible. I then reassembled the base and mounted it on the CUCV. I had already run coax from the antenna location to the radio location so all I needed to do was install an adapter to go from PL-259 to BNC connector.(Radioshack P/N 278-120)
If you are going to use this as an AM/FM antenna you are done, just install a motorola connector ( radioshack P/N 274-709) and plug it into your AM/FM radio.

If using it as a CB antenna, you'll need to attach an SWR meter and carefully trim the top mast section. remove the rubber tip protector and only cut a max of 1/4" at a time. Be patient, it may take awhile. I've done several of these and end up with SWR's of 1.25:1 or better.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks