• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CCKW D-Day Invasion port shipping stencils

Please could someone post a picture from the CCKW D-Day Invasion port shipping stencils, which sitting at the rear or the sides at the corner of the cargo bed.Could not find good readable pictures only model decals and that are not readable.Need also the technical measures...Want to made these stencils also by myself, does anybody knows the original stencil higth 1"?Thanks

WEIGHT ? LBS.
LENGHT ? IN.
WIDTH ? IN.
HEIGTH ? IN.
VOLUME ? CU.FT.
SHIPPING STORAGE ???

FrankUSMC

The stencil was 1 inch
WEIGHT 14600 LBS
LENGHT 230 IN.
WIDTH 88 IN.
HEIGHT 76 IN
VOLUME 1136 CU.FT.

With winch put 245 on lenth and wieght 15700
Could not find any thing on the stencils for shipping storage for the CCKW.
I have made the stencils for some of my trucks, they look great on the vehicle!
Hope this helps.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Hello Frank, thank you but I get other informations.I think yours was for the 352 SWB, but I have 353 LWB closed cap w/w.
For this it must be as follows I think, correct?

FROM U.S. PORT AGENCY
WAR SHIPPING ADM. N.Y.
WEIGHT 16600 LBS.
LENGTH 270 IN.
WIDHT 88 IN.
HEIGHT 76 IN.
VOL. 1280 CU.FT.

I think the height is also not correct for me because I have M37 .50 cal truck gun mount.Also don`t know which factor Shipping Storage will be....

FrankUSMC

That looks about right. I did not know the CCKW you had, so I just went with one.
On the M37 mount, you would do height WITH OUT the mount. The mount would be disassembled in the bed of the truck. The mount would have been put on when the truck got to England.

paulfarber

About midway through the Tankograd CCKW book there is a good shot of a shipping stencil. It was on the passenger side, just under the half door.

Most trucks would NOT come from the USA whole. Either in 1 or 2 up containers to be built at one of the many 'little detroits' in the UK.

This is about 60% done. Note the cab hanging off the hoist on the far left. The 1 up and 2 up assembly books are available from the usual TM sellers or e-bay.

One reason they made the open cab was the ratio of open cabs to closed cabs in shipping cube. IIRC it was like 3 open cabs for every 2 closed cabs...

Attachments

Last edited:

paulfarber

That looks about right. I did not know the CCKW you had, so I just went with one.
On the M37 mount, you would do height WITH OUT the mount. The mount would be disassembled in the bed of the truck. The mount would have been put on when the truck got to England.
I know little of the closed cabs (since I don't own one) but was the mount a factory option? I read articles about them, but never conclusively discovered if they were a factory applied part. I would think they are not, and a unit would requisition them (as per TO&E) from supply.

Since most CCKWs would not have gone over to Europe whole (rather in a knocked down shipping crate) none of the info (TM, picts of depots building them etc) have shown a truck with a mount. Lots of them rolling off navy ships on D-Day+.

Here's an early 353 closed cab with a mount rolling off sometime after d-day (not flag on windshield).

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

June 13th, 2010.

I do believe Rick Larsen at Rick Larsen's Military Stencils has the requisite stencil set(s) you are looking for listed in his online catalog under "Oilboard Stencils".....:D

Thank you very much .axholmesigns.co.uk offer them also I found today, not 100% correct but usable...
At Paul, I don`t found out any information when a CCKW does have a gun mount and when not, for which use, only Anti Aircraft using?How many percent of CCKW trucks does have them, rare I think? Where are the trucks position in a convoy at red ball express (5 vehicles convoy) first convoy lead was with gun mount? thanks

saddamsnightmare

June 13th, 2010.

Eve of Destruction Deuce:

Check with Rick, give him a call during the week, he can most likely correct or create a special set just for you with whatever information you may need. WilL Wagner was also doing some stencil cutting work on here....:D

Good Luck.

paulfarber

Well, they WERE RARE. I found a TO&E for a Regimental Truck platoon. Of the 17 or so trucks, only 4 M2-HBs were allocated. So I *ROUGH* estimate from an early 1943 TO&E for an Infantry Regiment would be 1 in 4.

Now a Divisional QM Company has many more tucks (like 30-40) but not a similar ratio of M2-HBs

Also, the VAST MAJORITY of CCKW were not attached to Divisions and were in QM companies. Operating from ports to depots. In 'secure' rear areas.

While the designated purpose was AAA, a convoy of any size would have embedded AAA. There are accounts of QM units shooting down enemy AC.

Of the 560,000+ CCKWs produced, I would put MG mounts of any kind at *maybe* 5%, or 28,000 trucks. Now, what was the total WWII production of M2? Since every tank, airplane, etc got an M2 you see that there were needed/used elsewhere.

They are neat to have... but accurate????

Last edited:

paulfarber

Interesting, what is your source for this number?

I find this odd, as not even jeeps came off the production line with MG mounts.

Also, since the factory has NO idea where a truck would end up, nor did ORD and later QM plan production that way. I don't think a Divisional QM Truck platoon is gonna simply wait on its 4 MG mounted trucks... but rather take 4 at random from its pool and mount the MGs as the mounts were available.

Also, as stated, the vast majority of trucks were not shipped whole to the UK for the invasion.. but knocked down in shipping crates. There was simply no room for a mount in those crates (Portrayal Press sells the pub that covers assembly of a CCKW from shipping crates).

Your 'every fourth truck' may be a misread on an Transport platoons 4 assigned M2HBs with its 16 2.5 ton trucks per platoon (3 platoons total). TOE 10-17 19 Feb 1944

Last edited:
Thanks at Paul and Two Dogs.My inet was not running well.Now I know it`s still a rare combination.In which ratio CCKW`s with gun mount where fitted, more 353 LWB or 352SWB.I think it`easier to find an later (after 43) CCKW with open cap than closed cab.There also the way that gun mounts where fitted in the combat zone/field and not at factory.If I look at my mount it have massive stell braces and the welding looks not so good as done at the factory..., but the sign plate is original and says M37...Truck mount by Trackson 1943

paulfarber

The reason why there are vastly more 353s with gun mounts is becuase there were more 353s (350,000+) than 352 (less than 55,000) produced. The role of the 352 was arty prime mover, a small segment of the Army. 353s were assigned in vast numbers to Divisional QM Companies and almost exclusively in Quartermaster Companies. The 353 simply held more stuff (cube wise). The Chevy 1.5 Ton was not common in the Army because it simply didn't carry enough to be useful. Although the Navy/Marine Corps did use them more so (although in a tractor role it did see wider use).

I have search for almost a month and *NOTHING* leads me to believe that ring mounts were factory fitted(by that I mean ordered as such. Yellow Cab or GM may have driven them off the production line to a modification area, but they were not 'production standard'. There is nothing in the SNLs, TM9s or TM10s. The open cabs I am certain of.

All gun rings had a separate M-designation. That leads me to believe that if you wanted and open or closed cab MG mount, you were looking at modifying a production truck.

Weld quality is no indicator of production. Remember, the Arsenal of Democracy was full of unskilled labor pressed into service.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks