• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CDL for M818

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blythewoodjoe

Welcome to steelsoldiers. You will find more opinions here than you will care to read. Let me be the first.

Yes. Yes. Yes. There will be those that say no and they may have great reasons, but I can think of no reason not to. You may be able to squeak by legally but why take the chance. All it takes is one enforcement officer to say "if over 26,000 pounds isn't it" and you will trying to convince a judge you are right about all the reasons my fellow SS members will post here in a few minutes.

Just my close minded opinion. I've had a CDL for 12 years and I don't watch my mirror for the man when I drive the big trucks, even when I'm just driving for fun.

Joe Trapp
Self proclaimed expert :lol:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to SS ABM!! This question comes up a lot. It all depends on what you want to do with it. If you plan on pulling a trailer and engaging in commercial activity, then you will need a CDL, a USDOT number, be able to pass a motor-carrier's inspection and stop in at every weigh station. If you are just doing it for a hobby and not hauling loads, then a lot of people here will say you'll be fine. Every state is different though. There are quite a few folks with big trucks from NC on here so I know they will chime in. Personally, I register my 5-ton trucks for 26,000 GVW because VA DOT code says that CDL is needed for 26,001 and above. It also says I need a CDL if hauling more than 16 people or if hauling hazmat. I don't do any hauling. Usually it's just an empty truck driving to a show or at most a picking up a load of firewood. Some folks will tell you that you should just wear camo and you will never get stopped by DOT. I just don't want to take the chance. I would rather be fully insured and legally plated. I don't want to get fined/ticketed or sued if I get into a wreck. Do your homework on the NC website, talk to other NC SS members and then use your own best judgment to decide on how you'll proceed.

I really enjoy my 818. The only thing I don't like is that you have to have a trailer hooked up if you want to take anything with you. I am looking at getting a M105 so I can take my camping gear, firewood, stuff from Lowe's, etc... with me. I did manage to strap our Christmas tree to the back platform for the ride home. That was entertaining for everyone in the parking lot. My next truck will be another cargo truck. They are more versatile for my needs.

FrankUSMC

Just watch your post over the week end, our NC expert is on the road getting a 5 ton at this moment. I am sure that when Garbee gets back and his hearing returns to normal, he will be more than happy to help you.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET......and down the road from you on the coast

ida34

underdog said:
Over 26,000# GVW and or air brakes
Need a CDL
In what state? Your blanket statement is wrong by federal standards but some states say that certain vehicles require a CDL even if not engaged in commerce. In TN you do not need one unless you are operating to make money. Search on the subject and read all my ranting posts on the subject. I am a former TN Police Officer.

ida34

Frank has the best advice. Check with someone in the know in NC. In MI you would not need a CDL. Federal requirements would not require one either. This is assuming you are not using it to make money. If you are making money hauling for other people or hauling your product to sell then you are required to have a CDL by all states and the feds.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have had a CLASS AM CDL since they came up with the idea. You will have to pass a physical and take tests to certify your ability to use a heavy truck and airbrakes. I look at it as an improvement to the old Class A licence I held for years. I am currently have TPX endorsements as well so if I am towing some wierd rig as I find myself doing once in a while that way I am covered. You will also need someone to sponsor you for the road test in the vehicle you are seeking licence on. The M818 is capable of hauling over 40,000 pounds so do yourself a favor and go get one even if you never make a penny driving it. If youre like me you might find yourself contemplating using it for hire when you hit retirement.

jeli

In Minnesota:
A commercial driver license (CDL) is required in Minnesota to operate vehicles that weigh more than 26,000 pounds, vehicles that carry more than 15 people including the driver, and vehicles identified as school buses, or carrying hazardous materials.

The process of obtaining a CDL in Minnesota consists of skills tests for the basic CDL and additional tests for endorsements such as school buses, or vehicles with air brakes.

I got my CDL when they first switched to them in the late 80's. I have driven professionally but will never give it up just in case. Like Joe said it's piece of mind that you don't need to worry about getting into an argument with Johnny Law over who is right. Just in the half dozen posts so far there is no absolute answer. Visit an RV forum and see how many responses you get even within your home state. The written test is easy if you take a couple hours to study. I took the test and every endorsement test (except school bus) without looking at the book and passed them all except haz mat. It wasn't luck but common sense. Haz mat has rules to follow and forms that require previous knowledge and studying. My last renewal was under $40.00 for four years.

I was able to be grandfathered on the driving and pretrip inspection due to my Reserve duty. In larger cities there should be outfits like this one that service the CDL market. http://www.minnesotatrucktraining.com/index.html The license center is near work so I see these trucks all the time. Yes $260.00 is a lot for a hobbyist but they are brand new trucks thet are guaranteed to pass and the testers know it. You bring an old POS truck in and you may fail. Not that I endorse driving a substandard vehicle on the road but not having a hassle during the test is a big plus.

Elwenil

Up and down the east coast there are several of the Alliance Tractor Trailer Training Centers like the one I attended in Wytheville Va. If you don't have a CDL or experience driving a large truck I would definitely suggest taking a course. When I went it was a 5 week course for about $5k. You get trained and you get your CDL all in one. If you don't want to take a course, I would at least suggest getting the CDL. It may or may not be necessary but their are some very important safety issues that you may not be aware of if you are not familiar with large trucks that knowing will serve you and the people on the roads with you very well. Knowing about air brakes (if your truck is equipped with them) and how to do a proper pre-trip inspection can save you a lot of money and possible save lives. when I started the training course I thought all I really needed to know was how to double clutch since I thought I already knew how to drive. Now I know better and I am a better driver for it.

emr

In NJ, if U register antique U dont put any wieght down, now its so grey, its not worth being the guy who finds out the hard way, as for the cargo's as long as its not commercial as said,No, but once U put a trailer on it, its so grey again, U really dont need one here but i wouldn't chance it, Im going for it when i get an 818,wish list... I hope, Randy

rmgill

Georgia has a Non Commercial Class A and B license.

The reason you don't want a CDL is that requirements are stricter and penalties are stricter for their use. Further if you're not commercial and you DO get a commercial license it's more reason for the officer to be asking you questions about where your DOT number, Medical Cert, log book and other paperwork is.

Georgia's law recently was changed so there's NO question about needing a CDL for a vehicle. They're determined to be Commercial vehicles if they're used for commerce. Not using it for a business or some kind of business income purposes, then you're not commercial. The Non Commercial Class A or B will do you.

That said, the Drivers license office MAY say you need to be a fireman or farmer to get the Non-Commercial license. That's not correct according to code. They're just used to giving them to just those two classes.

Ga law, last I checked says 'anyone over the age of 18' may apply for the Non-Commercial license classes.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MV's are big and intimidating! If your driving one with a license that is in a grey area and are involved in a serious accident (death or injury), your going to be in court, for sure. As above, its best to be prepared! Otherwise everything will be peachy, right up till "crunch time".

I was grandfatherd in, as far as the driving test goes, but have taken all the written tests, for renewal, except the school bus test. Also have the HazMat endorsement - that now takes, since 9-11, finger prints and an FBI background check. While I was at it, I would get all the endorsements, except maybe the last one. However the last one can be seen in a positive light too.

Lee in Alaska

kinetichotshot

As stated many times here, every state has its own requirements and licenses. but in short, if you are over 26,000lbs your standard operators license is not enough! also if your vehicle has air brakes, you will need the air brakes endorsement. I don't know about the military semis, but standard commercial rigs run standard 12 volt systems. this is something I may have to research a little as that is the second time today I have seen that question, and as I am a trucker and considering getting into military vehicles, I might need to know that eventually....
Keep Trucking,
Gator

rmgill

The Ga Non commercial does not allow the air brake endorsement. I don't know if it's a computer issue or just an administrative oversight. I asked for one and could not get one even though I was ready to take the test.

ida34

kinetichotshot said:
As stated many times here, every state has its own requirements and licenses. but in short, if you are over 26,000lbs your standard operators license is not enough! also if your vehicle has air brakes, you will need the air brakes endorsement.
Gator
This is not true of the Federal DOT guidelines. The requirements only apply to vehicles used when engaged in commerce. This blanket statement would be true if he were making money with the vehicle in question. If he is using it for moving his own stuff from place to place then he a CDL is not required for by Federal DOT guidelines. In Michigan you can have a semi with an 80.000 lbs trailer with air brakes and you would not need anything other than a normal class D license as long as you were not operating commercially (making money). Texas may have require a CDL for 26,000lbs and an airbrake endorsement but the combination does not require a CDL in all states. Would the training benefit someone driving that big a truck? Yes Is it required? No.

98hd

So, if your insured, licensed, and registered in a state that does not require a CDL, what happens if you operate it in a state that does require a CDL?

To go even further, take the same situation, but your drivers license is issued in the state requiring a CDL?

Status
Not open for further replies.