• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CDL Instruction Permit help for someone with no M923A2 truck in Nevada

Giggyman

I am currently reading up for the written exam for a CDL class B license in Las Vegas NV.

When I do pass the written test this week, the DMV guy told me to make sure I find a truck for practice (with a CDL driver of course) that exactly matches what I am going to be using for the driving test. I am trying to get an M35A3 but if I don't get it, my next choice would be an M923A2 which needs a CDL.

Of course I wouldn't want to buy an M923A2 without a CDL, but I need an M923A2 (with a qualified CDL driver) to practice for the CDL. Kinda like a chicken and egg problem, it's giving me a big headache.

I'm trying to save money for the bid instead of going through CDL school. I don't know if I've got the whole idea right, but any suggestions would be very helpful.

Gig

HASSON1911

Depending on how you register it you don't need a CDL (in my state of course) If you have a professional cdl holder, I would say you will learn more from him than any school can, experience is the best teacher after all. I don't know but aren't m35a3 still air over hydraulic(if so they wont qualify for weight or for air brakes)? hope this helps, if nothing else you can buy a m923 and just adore her in your yard till you get a license too!

jdknech

once you have a CDL, dont you then have a CDL? as in, it shouldnt matter what you take the test in, as long as you have it, you can then drive anything that requires a CDL? (as long as you stay in your classes A, or B) plus if you take your test in a auto, you have a restriction on your CDL keeping you from driving a stick.. if you take the test in a stick, then you dont have a restriction... plus most people have major problems taking a test in a military truck, because it is nothing like a civy truck, and the instructors dont know how to grade you, because they do not understand how the truck works...

all this to say- if I was you, I would find someone with a civy truck to take your test in, and once you have your CDL, your good... (i would also do it in a tractor-trailer so you get a class A, and can drive most anything..)
just my 2cents

Giggyman

jdknech, i like that idea about getting the civi stick shift. you're right, logic tells me it won't matter what vehicle you're using as long as you get the CDL class you're targeting. I should've realized that when he told me about finding a MV to practice on, but I guess I'm getting a bit overwhelmed with all this info. Everything sinking in now, I guess I'm just too excited :)

What would the difference be between a tractor trailer and a regular stick shift truck? One guy at the DMV said that a tractor trailer will have way more gears in them is all? I will ask around to see if anyone will be will ing to help out in my neighborhood...

Giggyman

HASSON1911, I was thinking about doing that, buying one first then getting it towed or hiring someone with a CDL to drive it from let's say Barstow (or some other place) to Las Vegas. But I was kind of worried about how much it would cost to hire someone to drive a pretty beast like an m923a2? Which then brings me back to getting the CDL myself... hmmm i always get caught in these catch-22s.....

Giggyman

Valuable info guys, so i guess tomorrow I will have to look for a guy with a CDL who owns a civi CMV stick who is willing to spend a few hours with me till i get the hang of it. Best idea so far! Thanks so much guys!!!

jdknech

What would the difference be between a tractor trailer and a regular stick shift truck? One guy at the DMV said that a tractor trailer will have way more gears in them is all? I will ask around to see if anyone will be will ing to help out in my neighborhood...
the differance is not the gears, but the size and weight... the tractor trailer is a class A CDL, and a class B is for a "straight truck" like a dump truck, school bus, box van or M923/M925..

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having got your permit you ought to go find a local farmer or excavating business - go ask them if you can "drive along" with one of their 'better' drivers.

They may have older equipment but all experience is valuable, plus it's going to be local haul not OTR. Their insurance will cover "learners".
After they think you are ready, they (as a business) can rent a new truck from Penske etc., you can pay for it, which will be better for your pre trip plus it's what the examiner will be used to. You can return the favour sometime by 'standing-in' for vacation/harvest work...
Don't go the military truck route as mentioned - it will be a gamble that the tester is ex-mil and the trucks aren't set up as per civi ones for all the pretrip tests that the examiner will be looking to see that you have knowledge of....

Giggyman

thanks zebedde, working with a local commercial business seems like a good plan B in case i don't find a CMV owner with a CDL to help out. Paying for a truck at Penske seems like a brilliant idea, a good incentive for the business owner. Genius!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search the net for "CDL Truck Rental" in your area. These services will make sure you are ready for the test and provide the approprate truck for a reasonable fee.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can definitely help here; I recently obtained my NON-commercial Class A with air brakes endorsement.

I assume you've downloaded & thoroughly read the Nevada Class A/B Non-Commercial Study Guide? If not, start there, and memorize it. If you're getting a true CDL, then you'll need to download the Commercial Driver's License Study Guide. With a non-commercial license, you don't need to get a DOT physical, you don't need to know manifesting & placarding, etc...but you will need to know how to properly permit your vehicle for overlength/overwidth/overweight situations, as well as proper cargo securing, etc...

Your Class C NV DL covers all combination of vehicles (GVW & GCW) up to 26K pounds...so a Deuce is covered by your standard Class C license. A 5-ton is in non-commercial or CDL territory. Will you be using your license for commercial/work purposes? If not, and you'll only use your 5-ton for personal reasons, then you don't need a CDL, just a non-commercial license. A CDL is a big deal; a non-commercial Class A/B not so big of a deal to obtain.

You CANNOT use a rented/leased vehicle for the drive test in Nevada; you can borrow a truck (but names on registration & insurance MUST match!) and rent/lease a trailer, but the truck used for the Class A/B drive test CANNOT be rented/leased...only exception is if you are going for your CDL through a driving school, and the truck/trailer are rented/leased to that school. The most important part of the drive test will be your walk-around with your DMV grader/tester. Tires & brakes will be the biggest focus of the safety-oriented walk-around prior to driving; know how to test your vehicle's brakes (slack adjusters, brake shoe clearances, and the air brakes leak-down test are very important). Also make sure there are no rocks/screws/nails/bolts/etc. in your vehicle's tires, and there is no obvious cracking in the sidewalls..make sure you air up beforehand as well.

The vehicle used on the drive test MUST have a legible GVW plate, stating the GVW of the vehicle as well as the usual FMVSS info (such as "This vehicle complies with all motor vehicle safety laws at the time of manufacture," yada yada yada or something similar). This includes trailers, ASK ME HOW I KNOW!! If you need info on GVW (aka data) plates, PM me.

NO LEAKS can be visible on the vehicle; fix any leaks you might have and thoroughly clean up any residue. Make sure all of your mirrors & window glass are CLEAN. Make sure your grader puts on their seat belts when they get in the cab, and while driving they may raise their arm & clipboard to obscure your view of passenger-side mirrors; ask them to lower their arm/body part so you can see. Make sure you check your mirrors & your space cushion around your vehicle frequently as you drive.

Remember in Nevada that heavy vehicles must maintain their lane of travel: if you make a left-hand turn (and there will be plenty, as you'll be testing out of the Motor Carrier office near Craig/I-15), you will turn into the lane closest to your path and then make your way safely into the right-most lane ONE LANE AT A TIME, signalling & checking first, etc...DO NOT GO DIRECTLY INTO THE RIGHT-MOST LANE IF YOU ARE TURNING ONTO A MULT-LANE ROAD.

Some of these tips aren't emphasized enough in the study guides, but the graders will really be keen on checking for them.

If you use a vehicle for the drive test with an automatic tranny, you will receive an "E" restriction on your license: auto trannies only for vehicles over 26K-lbs. If you want to drive vehicles over 26K-lbs with manual trannies, then use one for your drive test.

I'll be PM-ing you some more info as well; let me know if I can help with anything else. Good luck!

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
thanks zebedde, working with a local commercial business seems like a good plan B in case i don't find a CMV owner with a CDL to help out. Paying for a truck at Penske seems like a brilliant idea, a good incentive for the business owner. Genius!
Trust me, don't show up for your drive test with a rented/leased vehicle in Nevada...

Giggyman

In what way is a non-commercial A/B so much different from a CDL? I went to the DMV office yesterday, and the DMV guy said that just lately the medical examination isn't mandatory anymore for the CDL. Gotcha about the rented/leased vehicle. I will contact a friend that used to do construction work in Las Vegas and see if he's willing to help me out with a manual transmission truck. So how much more work is getting a CDL as opposed to getting a non-commercial A/B?

For now, i don't think I will be doing any commercial work with the trucks, but if I get my hands some time later on a M929 dump, who knows maybe I could do some hauling of construction materials. So I'm not so sure about commercial work but I would like to keep it as an option for later. What do you think?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you take the test in a tractor trailer you better know how to manuver it. You will be tested on backing and how you swing on turns, staying in your lane, gear shifting, etc. Backing a semi isn't rocket science but it takes practice and you eventually get a "feel" for where the rear of the trailer is (the part you can't see). Dragging trailer tandems over curbs and swinging too wide (or not wide enough) will get you failed. Make sure you know exactly what you will be tested on. Also make sure you do the pre-trip by the book. Most of the failures at my local CDL test site are pre-trip (I have a buddy that is a state trooper and does the testing). Make sure the truck you are testing in is in good repair (no excessive oil leaks) and has all the required safety equipment in it.

Giggyman

Sure will read up and rehearse everything on the pre trip, but i still have to look up a friend to see if he's willing to babysit me on this CDL instruction permit. Gotcha on the oil leaks. I hope things turn out ok with the written test first this week! Thanks for the tips!!! :)

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Download the study guides I linked above and you will see for yourself the differences between CDL & non-comm. Yes, you can self-declare for the physicals now, but there are many many more differences that you will find in the study guides.

shohnson

I'd like to chime in here not as an expert but as another guy with some of the same questions. I am looking to purchase an m923 very soon and I was told this weekend buy another SS member that as long as I declare a GVWR of 26000#or less I will not need a CDL to operate it. That being said I realize that would give a fella a payload of someting like 1800#s so I do see the value in obtaining a cdl or NON-com class B so that you could haul more. Could someone more experienced fill me and Giggyman in on this? Also if this is true would the truck still need to be driven home by a cdl holder because the registration process (and GVW change) is not yet complete?

Giggyman

You know I'm a real newbie to this thing but I've been scouring through the forums and in the strictest sense of the law, from what I've read, the state troopers that COULD pull you over for any reason MAY tell you that they will base the GVWR on the axles and not your declared GVW change. Of course you can argue, but he could still give you the ticket anyway, and tell you to try to argue that with a judge out-of-state which could be a disastrous travel expense on your part.

of course, that's just what I've read so far... so I cant be too sure about that info.

Gig

justinvincent

Someone who may be considering the truck driving as a replacement career in a life, a major obstacle for the several is that the funding for the commercial driver's license truck driver training course. The typical price of the business of this Truck Driver License training program is approximately $3500, it will start.. It depends upon choosing training school. However betting on your geographical location, could run as high as $7000 or a lot of. There are several ways in which one will approach getting a commercial driver's license but as many will unfortunately to discover, it does not forever mean the guarantee of the employment. One program offered that is extremely promoted one.

jdknech

Someone who may be considering the truck driving as a replacement career in a life, a major obstacle for the several is that the funding for the commercial driver's license truck driver training course. The typical price of the business of this Truck Driver License training program is approximately $3500, it will start.. It depends upon choosing training school. However betting on your geographical location, could run as high as $7000 or a lot of. There are several ways in which one will approach getting a commercial driver's license but as many will unfortunately to discover, it does not forever mean the guarantee of the employment. One program offered that is extremely promoted one.
Truck driving school is NOT required to get a cdl... just taking the state required test is all that is required... the school is for those that need to learn about large trucks, and how to.drive them, so.that they can pass the state test.... it cost me $100 including fuel to take my test, and get my class A's no school here..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks