• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CDL or no CDL? Wondering about what you have.....

Dieselsmoke

Odd, we had 10 acres there and they had no problem giving us farm plates. I'd figure in Canon City it would be even easier. Just goes to show DMV varies from state to state and office to office. Most likely due to the fact that the morons behind the counter don't have a clue.

moriboy

Farm plates and farm endorsement on my license here in Oregon. 150 mile radius from my ranch allowable.

quickfarms

The federal law is the minimum and each state can make it more restrictive.

I would not trust what DMV says or what they have in their printed handouts. You need to research the vehicle code. Here in CA the handouts have not been updated to reflect the current vehicle code.

If you drive vehicle into CA make sure you have a copy of the AZ laws in the truck.

This whole issue is a mess.

RangerBob

I suppose the OP might get some state-specific details if his state was listed (post #3 suggests AZ).

• Location: We require that all members include their state in their new member profile. This allows the other members to know their neighbors. Users who refuse to add their location will be subject to warning, temporary ban, and then permanent ban.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?84063-Forum-rules

note - I am not a forum cop (butthead), but I will be sleeping in a holiday inn express tonight.

Last edited:

uriss

Many States seemly make up stuff as they go. I was surprised that here in La. if you go to the main office of the DMV in Baton Rouge you pay a one time fee and paint your VIN on the bumper. And that is it. You are registered for life. You drive the duece on a passenger car license.

commandojeff

It is not a "Demil MV truck". That scares people when you tell them that. It is a personal truck that you are not making money with. It is a truck. The military doesn't have any purpose to state. It is a odd looking 5 ton truck. It says truck on my title, so that is all the DMV needs to know.

Got historic plates for mine through Hagerty. 135 bucks per year. Never have to get it registered again. My plates cost me all of 30 dollars.

poolmike

Not sure what to do with mine in PA. I bought it more or less to have as a big toy truck that I will actually use for my own personal work stuff, like hauling firewood and towing a tree chipper, etc. I don't think there is anyway around going full on commercial. We have DOT checks all around my area, just begging for revenue. The police that do the inspections don't know the laws half of the time, but they sure like to fine people. I don't want to get a CDL, but I don't think I have a choice. I also believe I will have to get the truck to pass an emissions test. Should be fun!

MarcusOReallyus

The federal law is the minimum and each state can make it more restrictive.

I would not trust what DMV says or what they have in their printed handouts. You need to research the vehicle code. Here in CA the handouts have not been updated to reflect the current vehicle code.

If you drive vehicle into CA make sure you have a copy of the AZ laws in the truck.

This whole issue is a mess.
Somebody with some bucks and time needs to make a federal case out of this. I seem to remember something about a "full faith and credence" clause in the Constitution.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmgill

Poolmike, note:

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/driverLicensePhotoIDCenter/license_classes.shtml

Non-commercial Driver's Licenses

• CLASS A (minimum age 18 ): Required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, where the vehicle(s) being towed is/are in excess of 10,000 pounds. Example: Recreational Vehicle, when the towing vehicle is rated at 11,000 pounds and the vehicle towed is rated at 15,500 pounds (total combination weight of 26,500 pounds).
  • CLASS B (minimum age 18 ): Required to operate any single vehicle rated in excess of 26,000 pounds. Example: Motor homes rated at 26,001 pounds or more.
CLASS C (minimum age 16): A Class C driver’s license will be issued to persons 16 years of age or older, who have demonstrated their qualifications to operate any vehicles, except those requiring a Class M qualification, and who do not meet the definitions of Class A or Class B. Any firefighter or member of a rescue or emergency squad who is the holder of a Class C driver’s license and who has a certificate of authorization from a fire chief or head of the rescue or emergency squad will be authorized to operate any fire or emergency vehicle registered to that fire department, rescue or emergency squad or municipality(emergency use only). The holder of a Class C license is authorized to drive a motor-driven cycle with an automatic transmission and cylinder capacity of 50 CCs or less or a 3-wheeled motorcycle with an enclosed cab.​

and

Commercial Driver's Licenses - Classes A, B or C

• CLASS A (minimum age 18 ): A Class A license is issued to those persons 18 years of age or older who have demonstrated their qualifications to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds. The holder of a Class A license is qualified to operate vehicles for which a Class B or Class C license is issued. Where required, appropriate endorsements must be obtained.
    • CLASS B (minimum age 18 ): A Class B license is issued to those persons 18 years of age or older who have demonstrated their qualifications to operate any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more or any such vehicle towing a vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating of not more than 10,000 pounds. The holder of a Class B license is qualified to operate vehicles for which a Class C license is issued. Where required, appropriate endorsements must be obtained.
    • CLASS C (minimum age 18 ): A Class C license is issued to those persons 18 years of age or older who have demonstrated their qualifications to operate any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of not more than 26,000 pounds or any combination of vehicles, except combination vehicles involving motorcycles, that does not meet the definition of a Class A or Class B vehicle. Where required, appropriate endorsements must be obtained.

poolmike

Poolmike, note:

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/driverLicensePhotoIDCenter/license_classes.shtml

Non-commercial Driver's Licenses

• CLASS A (minimum age 18 ): Required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, where the vehicle(s) being towed is/are in excess of 10,000 pounds. Example: Recreational Vehicle, when the towing vehicle is rated at 11,000 pounds and the vehicle towed is rated at 15,500 pounds (total combination weight of 26,500 pounds).
  • CLASS B (minimum age 18 ): Required to operate any single vehicle rated in excess of 26,000 pounds. Example: Motor homes rated at 26,001 pounds or more.
CLASS C (minimum age 16): A Class C driver’s license will be issued to persons 16 years of age or older, who have demonstrated their qualifications to operate any vehicles, except those requiring a Class M qualification, and who do not meet the definitions of Class A or Class B. Any firefighter or member of a rescue or emergency squad who is the holder of a Class C driver’s license and who has a certificate of authorization from a fire chief or head of the rescue or emergency squad will be authorized to operate any fire or emergency vehicle registered to that fire department, rescue or emergency squad or municipality(emergency use only). The holder of a Class C license is authorized to drive a motor-driven cycle with an automatic transmission and cylinder capacity of 50 CCs or less or a 3-wheeled motorcycle with an enclosed cab.​

and

Commercial Driver's Licenses - Classes A, B or C

• CLASS A (minimum age 18 ): A Class A license is issued to those persons 18 years of age or older who have demonstrated their qualifications to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds. The holder of a Class A license is qualified to operate vehicles for which a Class B or Class C license is issued. Where required, appropriate endorsements must be obtained.
    • CLASS B (minimum age 18 ): A Class B license is issued to those persons 18 years of age or older who have demonstrated their qualifications to operate any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more or any such vehicle towing a vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating of not more than 10,000 pounds. The holder of a Class B license is qualified to operate vehicles for which a Class C license is issued. Where required, appropriate endorsements must be obtained.
    • CLASS C (minimum age 18 ): A Class C license is issued to those persons 18 years of age or older who have demonstrated their qualifications to operate any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of not more than 26,000 pounds or any combination of vehicles, except combination vehicles involving motorcycles, that does not meet the definition of a Class A or Class B vehicle. Where required, appropriate endorsements must be obtained.

Unfortunately, there just isn't a class for me. If I register the truck as an RV, then I am certain I will catch some grief from the local LEO's if I haul some firewood or equipment. If I register this thing as commercial, get my CDL, etc...then open myself up to all of the associated headaches with that whole mess. I guess I have to pay to play and I'll have to figure out a way to fund this beast.

rmgill

Mike, read closely. Non-commercial includes the RVs. It's not limited to them.

Just like there's a class C drivers license, there's a Class C Commercial Drivers license (like a cab or a limo). The same is for a Class A or B.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks