• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CDL required in Missouri for Deuce?

MO MV man

Hello fellow Missouri MV owners!

I'd like someone to confirm, without a doubt, that Missouri does not require a CDL to operate a Deuce.

I'm 99% confident of it BUT.....have never heard it from a fellow Missouri resident.

My truck will be plated and insured as a regular vehicle, more than likely, rather than historic so I do not have to worry about when I drive, how much I drive and "Is this load of mulch in my bed for my wife's flower bed going to null and void my insurance or be against MO historic vehicle tag rules?".

I know, I know.....I worry to much but I want to be as close to certain of MO rules as I can be.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

jkelly66

The commercial drivers license is only a set of Federal standards that the States issue it is uniform regulations to bring everything in the truck driving world together and to keep drivers with suspended or revoked licenses from going to other states to acquire another license and continue driving commercially. The minimum requirement for a vehicle to be operated with a CDL. is 25,000 Gross Vehicle Weight or (GVW. for short) and or has air brakes. The M35 or any Duce is not over 25,000 GVW and dose not have air brakes.

Stan

The Mo. cdl testing manuel supports whats been said already. I have a cdl so didn't sweat it.
WWII weekend at Jefferson Barracks Park this weekend.

MO MV man

Thanks for all the responses.

My rig will only be used for personal transport and/or little projects, nothing commercial.
I do not have a CDL.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The commercial drivers license is only a set of Federal standards that the States issue it is uniform regulations to bring everything in the truck driving world together and to keep drivers with suspended or revoked licenses from going to other states to acquire another license and continue driving commercially. The minimum requirement for a vehicle to be operated with a CDL. is 25,000 Gross Vehicle Weight or (GVW. for short) and or has air brakes. The M35 or any Duce is not over 25,000 GVW and dose not have air brakes.
Yes and no. The federal standards are the minimum standards that a state must adhere to but states can add other restrictions. I've heard tell that people in CA are having CDL issues with a deuce because CA law says that anything with three axles is considered commercial unless it is a motorhome.

tsstout

In Kansas that would 26001 lbs.....

This I know.... I could bump my tag to 26000 lbs and still not require a CDL... I've checked with the Department of Transportation...

Last edited:
Yes and no. The federal standards are the minimum standards that a state must adhere to but states can add other restrictions. I've heard tell that people in CA are having CDL issues with a deuce because CA law says that anything with three axles is considered commercial unless it is a motorhome.
While doing some research on the CA CDL issue I called the DMV and the CHP and what I found out is that in CA if you have 3 axles AND are above 6000 pds you have to have a CDL, below that you are good (of course a CUCV weighs over 6K). The DMV and CHP guys I talked to thought it was a pretty stupid regulation too.

Greggor K

Per CA DMV website: Driver License and Identification (ID) Card Information

A commercial vehicle is a motor vehicle or combination used for hire to transport passengers or property or which:
  • Has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more
  • Is designed, used, or maintained for carrying more than 10 passengers, including the driver
  • Tows a vehicle or trailer, which has a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more
  • Transports hazardous materials, which requires placards
  • Tows any combination of two trailers or vehicle and trailer
No mention of number of axels, So as long as your not towing a trailer or a commercial hauler, you should not need a CDL for a deuce in CA.

Just my .02$ I'll be finding out from DMV, soon as I start to licence mine.

Autocar

Check the California driver handbook-it has a summary of driver license classes on the first page. Class "C"(thats a regular drivers license) may drive:
-a 2-axle vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less
-a 3-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. gross or less
-a motorized scooter
-any housecar 40' or less

A commercial class "B" license may drive:
-a single vehicle with GVWR of more than 26,000 lbs.
-a 3-axle vehicle weighing over 6,000 lbs.
-a bus, with endorsement
-any farm labor vehicle, with endorsement
-all vehicles under Class C

This is verbatum from the handbook. It is very clear-YOU NEED A CLASS "B" TO DRIVE A 3-AXLE TRUCK WEIGHING MORE THAN 6,000 LBS.--period!