• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CDL Requirements for 5 Tons (m934)

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
Sometimes I think we have it to easy in ND (I am not complaining) but I have all my heavy trucks M920 and 977 HEMTT registered as farm trucks they still need the 2290 HVUT but other than that nothing else. The only restriction is I cannot be further than 400 miles from my home address with the truck and that has never been a problem!
Same over here in Montana, except I got it even easier, don’t need a 2290 HVUT though restricted to 300 miles.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A tactical without a trailer is like pants without any pockets.

Not so handy....
DG
Update... Spoke to Hagerty, updated my policy and they issued ID card for semi trailer. < $200/yr
Age relevant plate has arrived from fleabay, so I'll not need to pay for new issue, icky yellow, "HISTORIC" plate.
Pic taken to include in registration application - sent to "Regional" office. Local office can't deal with this.

NB. Could do the "Farmer" thing, but decided years ago, getting Class A licence much more the responcible thing to do. Loved the challenge.

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
Got my Class A so I wouldn't be that one trying to flout the law and wondering can I move ___________ insert whatever, it's now do I need that or not. Seen they were shutting it down so I loaded my CDL up with every endorsement possible but Passenger and Hazmat. No dragging snotty nose brats around and I figure don't want to be near any Hazmat as that stuff does off gas and when stopped or filling up with it guess who's breathing it in...

HDN

I kinda wish I got my CDL before the rules changed, but at this point I think that if I can afford a tractor and some kind of lowboy I can probably afford the Federally-mandated class and maybe get something out of it 🤷‍♂️ But I know enough when I'm driving to not do anything stupid that would get anyone's attention.

I've only been pulled over in an MV once and that's when I was a kid and riding with my dad in his WW2 jeep one Halloween night for trick 'r treating. The village cop was concerned about a headlight on the jeep being out, but we showed her it was a blackout headlamp:

1657891759492.jpeg

After that we got on our way without further issue - no problem.

sreng

Small town WY, talked to driver license office. They said if the truck is staying local, not commercial and not getting on the interstate, they don't see any issues with not having a CDL. The kind of place where you ask the officer to call and check with Greg at the DMV if you have an issue and Greg gives it the "OK".

I also explained that somehow I am able to to go rent a Penske truck with air brakes and a GVRW over 26,000 lbs with a simple class C licence for non-commercial use. They confirmed that is also true. I am on schedule to get a Class B, but glad some of America is still understanding about actual use. Make no mistake, anyone flying down the highway at 55mph in a loaded 5 ton close to 30,000 lbs should be well aware of how to operate the vehicle and how air brakes work. The Class B is a less than $1000 to get if you have any experience with big trucks. Not bad at all to just get a CDL.

We also have the R endorsement, but I'm not doing an RV.

DREAD KT

I have also been looking at buying a 5-ton vehicle to compliment my fleet. This is what I came across in Texas, which allows me multiple ways to get around a CDL, Apparently, Texas is vintage military friendly.

This is the one I like:

7. A former military vehicle manufactured for use in any country’s military forces AND: a. Maintained to represent it’s military design and markings accurately; AND b. Operated intrastate only; AND c. Not driven for compensation or in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise;

Means I can't take it out of state, but that's fine. I can always get a CDL later.

Anyone used this form in Texas?

Reactions: HDN

m715mike

@DREAD KT - I don’t understand your comment, “I can always get a CDL later.”

I view Texas driver’s licenses as having two aspects: 1) a class (e.g., Class C, B, A); and 2) commercial or non-commercial status.

Class is determined by the vehicle or, more specifically, the gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating of the vehicle.

There appears to be a presumption that operators of Class A and B vehicles in Texas will have a commercial driver’s license (“CDL”) status unless they meet one of the 8 exemptions listed in the document you linked to. If an exemption is met, then the operator’s license may be a Class A or B non-CDL.

I believe that legal operation of a 5-Ton truck in Texas requires a Class B license (or a Class A license if towing a trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 lbs). This could be either a Class B CDL or (if an exemption is met) a Class B non-CDL.

Lastly, I understand that the testing requirement for a Class B CDL is the same as a Class B non-CDL (I could be wrong on this). There are some differences such as annual medical testing requirements.

I want to get a Class A license. I’m undecided on CDL versus non-CDL. I would qualify for an exemption if I got the non-CDL solely to drive my former military vehicles. But, a CDL would give me more flexibility if I choose to drive other vehicles.

So back to my initial statement - I don’t understand your comment. Are you planning to take the test for a Class B or A license and then claim an exemption for non-CDL status? Why not get a CDL (again I’m assuming that the test is the same for the CDL and non-CDL). I’m curious what your perspective is as I’m still trying to make up my mind.

DREAD KT

I view Texas driver’s licenses as having two aspects: 1) a class (e.g., Class C, B, A); and 2) commercial or non-commercial status.

Class is determined by the vehicle or, more specifically, the gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating of the vehicle.

There appears to be a presumption that operators of Class A and B vehicles in Texas will have a commercial driver’s license (“CDL”) status unless they meet one of the 8 exemptions listed in the document you linked to. If an exemption is met, then the operator’s license may be a Class A or B non-CDL.

I believe that legal operation of a 5-Ton truck in Texas requires a Class B license (or a Class A license if towing a trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 lbs). This could be either a Class B CDL or (if an exemption is met) a Class B non-CDL.

Lastly, I understand that the testing requirement for a Class B CDL is the same as a Class B non-CDL (I could be wrong on this). There are some differences such as annual medical testing requirements.

I want to get a Class A license. I’m undecided on CDL versus non-CDL. I would qualify for an exemption if I got the non-CDL solely to drive my former military vehicles. But, a CDL would give me more flexibility if I choose to drive other vehicles.

So back to my initial statement - I don’t understand your comment. Are you planning to take the test for a Class B or A license and then claim an exemption for non-CDL status? Why not get a CDL (again I’m assuming that the test is the same for the CDL and non-CDL). I’m curious what your perspective is as I’m still trying to make up my mind.

Hi m715mike,

As you indicated, I was thinking of taking the test for a Class B or A license (non CDL) and then claim an exemption. Since I alo operate a ranch, I can use it as an agricultural vehicle with restrictions on and around the ranch until I get used to it. Haven't bought it yet, but looking. Didn't mean to confuse anyone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks