• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cdl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

100acre

I understand one must acquire a CDL in order to legally drive a five ton truck, but what if you only drive a tractor without a bed or trailer, in other words does the weight reduction by not having either bed or trailer affect weight limitations ect?. Does one still need to get a CDL ? Tanks

Last edited:

FullSpecial

Depends on your state. Some will let you get the air brake restriction removed, think large motor home.
Others are full on CDL. As I already have one I didn't look into it, yet........

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
100 this has been a ongoing question.If you Google CDL you will find lots of replies.I live in SC and need no CDL as long as you make no money with your truck.You do not need to stop at weight station.I went by both on I 26 and did not stop. I also don't display my tag,no one has questioned me yet.And I know what hard ass's NC troopers are and they were thick as thieves when I was up there.

insanejecke

:ditto: for what he said and I also reged mine as a RV so I don't need a CDL for me to drive mine.

ones I fill out the paper work to get it reg and insured lol waiting on the money.

walkerhunter

In the state of Game you would need it because you there are no c
Normal vehicles with air brakes. You need an airbrake endorsement therefore you need a commercial drivers lisence.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto: for what he said and I also reged mine as a RV so I don't need a CDL for me to drive mine.

ones I fill out the paper work to get it reg and insured lol waiting on the money.
Registered as an RV? Good luck with your first accident. Unless you meet your state's guidelines for the vehicle actually being an RV, your insurance company will most likely deny your claim for false information. CDL threads are rapidly approaching all the incorrect threads on insurance.

mcmullag

I am working on getting mine, have the permit, just need to do the driving test. I suggest try walking into the dmv office and picking up the training guide/manual if they have one. Here they are about a 50 page, paper booklet. In there it tells when a CDL is required. I think I have this correct, here they go by what the vehicle is capable of caring, GVCW rating which on a 5 ton data plate, M923a2, states 31500 lbs. They state anything over 26,000 lbs GVCW and has air brakes need cdl.

Blk97f150

I understand one must acquire a CDL in order to legally drive a five ton truck, but what if you only drive a tractor without a bed or trailer, in other words does the weight reduction by not having either bed or trailer affect weight limitations ect?. Does one still need to get a CDL ? Tanks
From the NC DOT CDL Manual:
http://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/handbooks_CDLmanual.pdf

Page 1-2
You do not need a CDL to drive RECREATIONAL VEHICLES, MILITARY EQUIPMENT, FIRE and/or EMERGENCY EQUIPMENT, or CERTAIN FARM VEHICLES. For more information regarding CDL exemptions, see Section 1.8 – Exemptions and Waivers.

Page 1-11
1.8: Exemptions and Waivers
The type vehicles listed below do not require the operator to possess a CDL. However, a non-CDL Class A or B license may still be required:
• Vehicles used for personal use such as recreational vehicles.

--------------------------
From the NC DOT website:
http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/driver/license/

Class A License
Required to operate any combination of vehicles exempt from CDL requirements with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is greater than 10,000 pounds.

Class B License
Required to operate any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more that is exempt from CDL requirements, or any such vehicle while towing another vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less.

Blk97f150

More, from the NC Drivers Handbook:
http://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/handbooks_NCDL_English.pdf

Page 9
Types of Licenses, Permits and Restrictions
North Carolina has a regular driver license and a commercial driver license (CDL). The type of vehicle you will operate determines the class of driver license you must have and the type vehicle in which you must take the driving skills test. The driving skills test must be performed in a vehicle representative of the class license desired.

Regular Licenses
Class A: Required to operate any combination of non-commercial vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of less than 26,001 pounds or including a towed unit with a GVWR of at least 10,001 pounds.

Class B: Required to operate any single non-commercial vehicle with a GVWR of at least 26,001 pounds or any such vehicle while towing another vehicle with a GVWR of less than 10,001 pounds.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IN BEFORE THREAD CLOSURE

Do a search for CDL and you'll get lots of opinions and some facts. Best answer for you is to call your state DMV/OMV and ask if a CDL is required for a private non-commercial truck over 26,000 lbs with air brakes. Call several offices and get a regulatory citation if you can (so you can look it up) if they say you don't need one. You might talk to a weight enforcement trooper to find out if they are aware of the exemptions (if any).

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just accounting for the lower 48 states, your post proves my point. 48 different answers and Ohio allows me to drive a Kenworth if it is not commercial under the exemptions. I have driven on OTR Mack before with a 40-foot box non-commercially of course.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
In Ga. you can get a class E, this is a NON COMMERICAL CDL this allows you to drive anything but NOT for pay.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Let me throw this into the mix. I have an Alabama Class A CDL. Every year I have to get a Medical Card which means a DOT physical. If I don't they will pull my license. In addidtion I take a medication that requires that my doctor sign a form that I have to send in every year or they will pull my license. Your milage may vary, this information my be fatting, cause baldness, nausea, hemmoriods, spontaneous combustion and piss you off.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone know what the regs are for Virginia? I'd like to snag a M923/925 at the prices they are going for, don't intend to haul a semi trailer or anything except pintle-hitched trailers behind it, don't know what things are like here , especially if I plan on using Vintage/Historic tags like I used with my old deuce and a half.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What you can do and what you may be ticketed for may not coincide with your states regulations.

You will pay a fee when your ticketed(right or wrong), so with that in mind, consider the cost of a CDL(and how having one(or not having one) could affect).

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simply put, an Internet forum is NOT the place to determine whether or not you need a CDL.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe it is time for CDL threads to go the way of insurance threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks