• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CDN M101/US M416 trailer cover install

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The covers came from Niagara Military Parts, they advertise in Supply Line. Pawnshop and I did a combined order.
The tarps were described as "very nice condition", this translated to brand new still in the plastic bags! One side is green, the other is 383 3-colour camo, which worked out nicely for us. Sam's trailer is MERDC, so the straight green works for him, most of my 'fleet' is 3-colour, so it will go that way up on mine.

The attached picture shows what they look like in 383, courtesy of the USMC Museum on Camp Pendleton.
Bjorn posted a PM mag 'how to keep your tarp from sagging and filling with rain' article a while back (thanks Bjorn!), following it would prevent the effect seen in the pic.

Cheers

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The CDN M101 covers are great for the M416, M100, MBT, and yes, even the CDN M101 trailers if you need a modern plastic cover that keeps out water.

The lunette picture is there so you install it correctly when the trailer is painted in the 3 color, so the camo pattern lines up on the tarp and trailer.. I have seen some that say FRONT in addition to the lunette picture. The going rate for them is $90-100 or so, and once they are gone, they are gone, so if you want one, dont wait too long.

One additional thing you way want to get for your trailer to protect the bed is 2 of these. http://www.lowes.com/pd_155419-20787-155419_0_?productId=3063725&Ntt=rubber%20mat&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=rubber%20mat$y=8$x=22

The fit perfectly in the bed, and protect it.

Last edited:

Snowrydr01

do you have an email or website for Niagara Military Parts? Im looking for a nice cover myself and ebay has been a little thin lately

Pawnshop

Nope, he does things the Old Fashioned way, via the telephone. You call him and tell him what you want, he gets your Postal Code and calls you back the next day with your total amount including shipping, and then you mail him an International Money Order (he is in Canada eh...) and wait. The whole process took about two weeks for me but I didn't mind, he is a very nice fellow with a good product at a good price. I will post his phone number this evening when I get home from work.

Pawnshop

I don't have the article, but it is pretty simple: make a bow that runs front to back (or side to side) that the tarp lays on top of that will hold it up and not allow it to fill with water. When I bought my trailer the previous owner had built a cover with plywood and 2x4s that his tarp laid over, I took the plywood off and just used the frame. Water still pools, but MUCH less than it would with no support.

I will try to get some good pix of the frame posted soon.

Attachments

Pawnshop

Here are the photos of the cross member as designed by her last owner. The cross bar dovetails into the end piece, and the end piece has a little brace to make it stand up high enough to be flush with the trailer's lip. As you can see the top still catches some water but nothing like it would do without the brace. I have considered putting the plywood back on to keep the water from pooling, but it is a real PITA to access the interior as one entire side of the tarp has to be un hooked an flapped over to get the cover up. Without the plywood I can just un flap a corner to get in (as shown in the photos).

Attachments

yochief

The tarp goes on the Cdn 101 with the lettering and the lunette symbol to the front of the trailer. It looks to me that the lunette emblem is then facing the wrong way. But, the two hooks on the ends of the rubber cord hook onto the two handles that stick out the back of the Cdn 101 trialer.

I found this out from looking at pictures of the trailer in use by CDF trrops. I have a Cdn 101 and a tarp. The rubber cord will stretch with time and the hooks allow you to take up the slack as time goes by.

I used to have a 416 and the hooks went onto the two grab handles on the rear sides and it worked well.

I have a support to keep the rain from puddleing and with time the support wore the camo paint off on that side.

Lex_Ordo

Another source for these tarps is to buy direct from the manufacturer:
GMA Cover Corp. Call them and give them the NSN on the cover. They still have them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks