• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cdr / oil cap

Anubis8472

M1009 has had oil seepage from the front of the oil pan since I got it.
No biggie, never enough to even register on the dipstick, not leaving any stains on the floor. I've been using it as my daily to/from work.

Took a long(ish) trip with it, about 400 miles round. Seemed some freeway time did it some good, it was noticably smoother afterwards.
Couple of days later I found my oil level a little low (bought a half quart).
Next day I checked it again and it was about 1 quart down.
All told I lost about 2 quarts in a week. It was the same leak (front of pan) that has always been just seepage.

After topping the oil off I let it sit for three days over the holiday, not a single drop. So far this week it hasn't lost any oil.
So I'm thinking oil cap/CDR valve in combination with a minor leak.
Ordered a new CDR, regardless the old one is likely due for replacement.
My oil cap does not rattle. When I got home today there was a slight but audible 'pressure release' when I took off the cap.
I'm not sure how it works, if I can clean it out etc.
All I see is what looks to be a copper or brass plate that slowly floats around in some oil. Is that what should 'rattle'?

I'm thinking I just need a simple vented cap, but looking at the stock cap it looks like there is a lot more to it. Is it supposed to open/close at a certain pressure?
Would an 'always open' vent cap screw with the CDR's operation?

I'd rather have something like a modified cap/breather on there rather then the stock 'sealed unit' 'might just clog up completely', but I'm thinking proper CDR operation required the type of cap that's on there.

Anyone cut one open?
Have any specs?

Jersey4x4

Advance auto sells the replacement oil cap for like 10.00 or so. They wont have it by the part number or the cucv application, you must look for an older diesel like a 1978 Chevy C 10 with a 5.7 Diesel and that will be the correct cap.

Anubis8472

I see that they have breather oil filler caps, but I'm not finding the 'correct' part.

My concern is that the factory cap is not a 'free flow' style cap, but may be spec'd to work in series with the CDR.

I don't know if the mechanism within the factory cap is solely to avoid contamination.
If the CDR is supposed to create a slight vacuum, that's not going to happen with a free-flow cap.

Miah

Bit of searching shows up at Autozone/OReilly's as CST/Murray part# 8076. They game me a bog standard civvy cap awhile back, guess I'll order in the proper one & see if it performs better.